Hemera Jammed during first long Print

Discussion in 'HotEnds & Extruders' started by Darthy, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Darthy

Darthy Member

Hi,

I received a hemera direct from e3d and it was an already assembled direct drive version that I'm popping onto my CR-10s.

Installation went well and I followed the checklist for:

-Vref
    -Esteps
    -Pid Tuning etc

Printed a test cube and everything went fine, then tried to print this piggy bank https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3490324 and after a few hours I heard the extruder clicking like mad and when I went to check on it, the hemera had stopped extruding and was kinda seized up.

At the moment I'm using retraction settings of:

- 0.5mm
    - 45 mm/sec
    - No coast / No Wipe
    - LA of 0.1

Printing at 208 degrees PLA @ 50mm/sec

I was having a look at the gears and have noticed that they look like they are out of alignment, not sure if it is supposed to be that way.

[​IMG]

Like I said, this is the way that it came from e3d, I didn't have to assemble this myself and I'd be really disappointed if this is a QC issue because it means taking apart the whole of my hotend assembly :(

2. muad_did

muad_did Member

Your hemera its not fully closed. look the screw at up-right and the space betwen pieces!. Take of the fan and screw it. You dont need to dismount all.

3. SchmartMaker

SchmartMaker Active Member

During the removal of the Hemera heatsink (to tap some M3 threads into the fan mounting holes), I already noticed that the two bolts that join the heatsink with the motor were not tight at all, coming straight out of the box. I would recommend everyone to take off the fan and double-check if these two bolts are secure enough.

#3 SchmartMaker, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  4. SchmartMaker

SchmartMaker Active Member

And I would say that failing to torque/tighten bolts sufficiently and not discovering that before the product leaves the factory is indeed a QC issue.