Hemera jamming internally with no filament in it?

Discussion in 'HotEnds & Extruders' started by Joe from Canada, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Joe from Canada

The extruder seems to jam up internally at the same physical spot in both directions (although it does make it more than 1 rotation on the stepper. I have adjusted the VREF as shown in the documentation for the A4988 drivers. Below is a video showing it stopping at the same spots in each direction, this is with no filament in it at all.

I had a few hours of successful prints before Christmas then had issues, so I installed my original extruder for the holidays. I got ahold of tech support on Jan 3. On Jan 4th when the printer was free I reinstalled the Hemera and re-adjusted everything and have the same issues. Sent an email back and got no response from tech support. I filled out a contact form this morning regarding the issue and mentioned the original ticket #. Also posting here in hopes E3D responds faster, or someone else has a resolution for this. Also attached pictures I took of it when I had it apart showing the cleanliness of it and fact that all the teeth appear to be intact still.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Daniel Rock

Daniel Rock Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Hi Joe, The form on the website is playing up at the moment, contacting support@e3d-online.com will get you through. Have you increased the filament tension? The white spring block should be flush with the back of the idler body.

3. Paul Arden

Paul Arden Well-Known Member

@Joe from Canada looking at your photos, it looks like the gear for driving the idler side is not correctly fitted. When correct there is a space between the larger gear and the smaller one. See this Tweet by Elite Machine Works. I opened one of mine and can confirm it is correct. That gear should also be fixed to the shaft and not able to rotate or move. Definitely point that out to the support team as well since that could definitely be the root cause since it causes the idler and driving gear to not mesh properly.

Joe from Canada likes this.
  4. Joe from Canada

As mentioned above I have tried sending an email with no response back yet. I can't see how filament tension would effect it from doing this because there is no filament in it at all.

5. Joe from Canada

Yes that is definitely not correct on mine then. I will take all the gears off mine and see if it will run with just the stepper motor to help verify if there is another issue. Thanks for the information.

6. Daniel Rock

Daniel Rock Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I have had a word with the Customer Service team, I can confirm that we have received your email, there is still a little bit of a backlog due to the Christmas period at the moment, we will send you out a replacement as soon as possible.

Joe from Canada likes this.
  7. Joe from Canada

Thanks for the follow up Daniel, I did receive an email and I did send another reply.

Georgia E3D likes this.