Hemera Not Extruding During Actual Print Execution

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Maves230, Jan 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Maves230

Maves230 Member

The extruder does not move or respond to requests once a print is initiated. I'm able to bring everything to temp manually and extrude the desired amount of filament, this is only when a print starts. I have two wipe lines and notice that they come out as I'd expect. Here's my start GCode for reference and context:

G28 ;Home
    G29 ;Auto bed leveling

G92 E0 ;Reset Extruder
    G1 X10.1 Y20 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to start position
    G1 X10.1 Y200.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E15 ;Draw the first line
    G1 X10.4 Y200.0 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to side a little
    G1 X10.4 Y20 Z0.28 F1500.0 E30 ;Draw the second line
    G92 E0 ;Reset Extruder​

I made sure the nozzle wasn't jammed by removing tension and manually pushing filament during the print. While my manual feed rate was way off, it seemed to indicate everything else is working as expected. Tension does not seem to be an issue when extruding by sending terminal commands or using octoprint.

At a loss, any help would be appreciated. See what I've tried below.

What I've done so far:
    • Adjusted and verified VREF set to 1192 MAH according to my multimeter. (Seems like that's ideal for my TMC2088 stepper controller)
    • Re-flashed firmware with modified settings.
    • Reset and initialized EEPROM.
    • Verified ESTEPS are set to 409 mm/s for calibration starting point.
    • Checked extension wires going from breakout board to controller.
    • Brought hot-end to temp and can extrude on demand with no issues.
    • Checked my filament settings in Cura to see if anything would have overridden my settings.Nothing found.
    • Checked my machine settings in Curra to see if anything would have overridden my settings.Nothing found.
    • - Checked order of wires in plug, but cannot fully verify due to not knowing the pinout of the CR-10V2 breakout board.

2. SchmartMaker

SchmartMaker Active Member

Did you do an M503 after a fresh boot to verify that the settings you've made are stored and active?

You're saying the feed rate seemed off. Could you make sure that the following code extrudes 100mm of filament and takes 60 seconds to complete?

Code:
    G21 ; Set units to millimeters
    G90 ; Use absolute coordinates
    M83 ; Use relative distances for extrusion
    G1 E100 F100 ; Extrude 100mm with a feedrate of 100mm/min
    Did you try a different slicer?

And could you post a fragment of the actual G-code that was sent to the printer? If the wipe lines extrude fine, there could be something off with the rest of the G-code. Please include every line up until the start of the second layer.

3. Maves230

Maves230 Member

Thank you for the suggestions. I did a deep dive into my firmware, watched some videos, and sure enough it's a firmware issue.

I don't have time to look too far into it, but it seems if you enable Linear Advance in Marlin on the board that a CR-10 V2 has, it will shut off the stepper motor after the first few commands are issued to it.

Once I disabled this feature in the firmware and uploaded, my first print had no issues with extrusion whatsoever. Hopefully this info is useful for other CR-10 V2 owners.

4. SchmartMaker

SchmartMaker Active Member

5. Maves230

Maves230 Member

That's great info and seems to be very similar to the issue with LA on Marlin. Currently running Klipper on my Printbot and will follow this issue to see if I'm comfortable with any of the proposed solutions. As of now, it looks like some experimental tweaking requiring downtime I'd prefer not to experience again for a bit. Hopefully my print quality won't suffer too bad in the meantime.

6. macminoz

macminoz Member

any good results with Klipper and Hemera? Thanks