Hemera RepRap Settings

Discussion in 'HotEnds & Extruders' started by Dak, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Dak

Dak Member

Ello all! First off, I absolutely LOVE my Hemera. Makes a huge difference in print quality!

I'm currently in the progress of upgrading to a Duet 3 board. I understand there's a guide for settings already, but it's not including a couple of settings. Any ideas? I currently have...

Direction: Forwards
    Microstepping: x16
    Steps per mm: 409

What I don't know is...
    Max change speed
    Max speed
    Acceleration
    Motor Current

Thanks!!!

Georgia E3D likes this.
  2. SchmartMaker

SchmartMaker Active Member

I have a Duet 2 Maestro with the following configuration (just the relevant section). Please note that I'm still tuning my printer a bit since switching to a Duet and Hemera. But I already got a reasonable snappy retraction with PETG and no skipping of the extruder (with slightly lower idler tension).

Code:
    ; Drives
    M569 P0 S0                                         ; Physical drive 0 (X) goes backwards
    M569 P1 S0                                         ; Physical drive 1 (Y) goes backwards
    M569 P2 S0                                         ; Physical drive 2 (Z) goes backwards
    M569 P3 S0                                         ; Physical drive 3 (E) goes backwards
    M584 X0 Y1 Z2 E3                                   ; Set drive mapping
    M350 X16 Y16 Z16 E16 I1                            ; Configure microstepping with interpolation
    M92 X80.00 Y80.00 Z400.00 E409                     ; Set steps per mm (Hemera default)
    M203 X12000.00 Y12000.00 Z300.00 E3600.00          ; Set maximum speeds (mm/min) (X200 Y200 Z5 E60 mm/s)
    M201 X500.00 Y500.00 Z100.00 E5000.00              ; Set accelerations (mm/s^2)
    M566 X600.00 Y600.00 Z24.00 E300.00                ; Set maximum instantaneous speed changes (mm/min) (X10 Y10 Z0.4 E5 mm/s) (default jerk policy)
    ; NOTE: This is peak current, not RMS current. The setting on the Duet Maestro is in steps of 50mA and rounded down.
    M906 X725 Y725 Z725 E800 I30                       ; Set motor peak currents (mA) and motor idle factor in percent (60% of Hemera motor current of 1.33A is 800mA)
    M84 S30                                            ; Set idle timeout

Georgia E3D and Dak like this.
  3. Dak

Dak Member

Thank you!

SchmartMaker likes this.
  4. blt3dp

blt3dp Member

I'm actually configuring the same setup, a Duet 3 and a Hemera and I had the same question as to what values to set those settings to.

Settings like the steps per mm and microstepping are available. Settings like the motor current can be calculated 60-80% of motor current.

The other settings appear to be left to the community to come up with what works best through trial and error.

I'd like e3d to give recommendations for the other settings such as the jerk and acceleration based off of their empirical internal testing. Not necessarily anything scientific (though those values could be calculated and tested), just something to say "these are the values we found to work best. If you use these settings you should be able to expect quality extrusion on par with what we've shown".

I think doing that would make it easier for those who just want it to work, and achieve results on par with what's been shown. It also leaves room for further tuning and tweaking for those that wish to do so.

5. SchmartMaker

SchmartMaker Active Member

I have to agree with blt3dp. I believe settings like maximum extruder acceleration and jerk are largely (if not entirely) specific to the Hemera hardware. I re-used the values that worked well with my Bondtech BMG, but E3D knows their product and its limits best, and they should be able to provide centrally documented and optimal settings for the Hemera to take out some of the guesswork. I did not find such guidance in the datasheet, the Hemera assembly instructions or any of the printer-specific guides.