Hemera stops extruding

Discussion in 'HotEnds & Extruders' started by Ingeniorator, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Ingeniorator

Ingeniorator Member

Hey everyone, I've recently modded my Anycubic Mega X with a Hemera and it prints smaller parts like a Benchy or calibration cube without issues, but larger/longer prints pose some problems. It randomly stops extruding for an unknown reason. The filament is still gripped tightly, the motor apparently simply stops turning. When aborting the print job and un-/loading filament for testing, it goes on as if nothing happened. I checked the Vref (1.25 for the extruder on TMC2208s), cables, plugs, firmware (Knutwurst fork of Marlin 2.0), gears (they look fine although I have not checked for loose press fits), motor, switched/formatted SD card, resliced, pretty much everything. There is no step skipping or slip between gears and filament of any kind, it just quietly stops. There's also enough thermal paste between the body and heat brake, there are no clogs, and the motor barely warms up during prints. Additionally, the first solid layer looks overextruded while the surrounding wall is perfect. No idea what that's about, since I even dialled the first layer extrusion width and flow to 100% without any change. I exclusively print PLA at 200°C and 60°C bed temperature, 0.5mm retraction.

What could be the cause of this? I'll try a print sliced in Ideamaker instead of Cura, but I'm not optimistic.

#1 Ingeniorator, Apr 6, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  2. Ingeniorator

Ingeniorator Member

I found the error in the form of either an overheating TMC2208 extruder motor driver. So for anyone experiencing similar issues, check their temperatures.

3. RobBernal

RobBernal Member

Thanks for sharing the solution. Btw, why have you modded your Anycubic with the Hemera one? Is it better or something? Haven`t you tried this Anycubic model? I`m thinking between two right now..

#3 RobBernal, Aug 8, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2022