Hemera TPU fix

Discussion in 'HotEnds & Extruders' started by Mk4ever, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Mk4ever

Mk4ever New Member

Hello,

I've had my Hemera for months, and it was working great with TPU, among other kinds of filaments, until yesterday. TPU was severely under-extruding, so I increased the temp, which worked for minutes, until it stopped extruding TPU all together. PETG kept printing fine.

I read all the TPU threads here and elsewhere, but none had a real solution. So I started troubleshooting.

I'll keep it short and save everyone's time. My 2 observations:
    1. The Hemera heartbreak was partitially blocked. Cleaning it reveals most of what was stuck was TPU, as it was elastic. I only retract in my prints, and with TPU I use 1.5mm. It could be the reason, but a small price to pay for the many fine prints I did with minimal stringing and no issues even at high speed. Cleaning it allowed the Hemera to start extruding again, but didn't fully solve the problem. TPU kept under-extruding. PETG looked perfect now though.
    2. I noticed then how before entering the Hemera, my PETG was obviously thicker than my TPU, and my TPU kept stopping nearly half the time. Both are sainsmart. I measured PETG, near perfect 1.74. My glow in the dark sainsmart TPU though was a shocking 1.30. It still could slip with a bit of pull even at the tightest tensioner setting. I switched to my blue sainsmart TPU, it measured 1.6, and performed significantly better, no more skipping, but not the perfect extruded thickness. I switched to a TPU sample from spool3d, and it measured 1.72. It extruded just like PETG. I went back to the glow in the dark sainsmart TPU, skipped 2 metres to a 1.6 section, and it performed way better than the 1.3 section, no more skipping, but still under-extruded, so thickness was still an issue. No wonder I had to increase my multiplier significantly for TPU..

I love sainsmart, and they offer TPU colours almost no one else offers, but I guess the recommendation I read here to avoid sainsmart has a good reason. Their pro PETG is still top notch in my opinion, but their TPU's tolerance, not good.. I won't stop using it, but I'll pay more attention to it's diameter from now on.

By the way, my nozzle is a 0.6 tungsten carbide from spool3d, to handle any abrasive filaments, so I knew that wasn't my issue here.

I created an account just to post this, hoping it would help someone.

mtngeek likes this.