Hemera tpu issues

Discussion in 'HotEnds & Extruders' started by Chainbreaker2012, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Chainbreaker2012

Hello, let me state first that I have read all the hemera jamming threads already. I am having a Issue with TPU. I can print a half a benchy then the extruder jambs under the hobb like it is clogged up. However I am able to pull the TPU back out using the tensioner lever clip off where the Hobbs bit down and reinsert and it will go again fine for a while with perfect extrusion. My TPU is rated for 195° to 230° and for me to get any type of decent extrusion from it I have to go up to 240+. I can print petg almost perfectly with it, and pla is great as well. My retraction is set to .4 but I have tried up to 2mm and print speed has been tried from 30mms to 60mms. Also Have adjusted the tension from just about no tension to very tight. When it binds from a Medium amount of tension I can hear the tensioner gear hopping on the other gear as the filament binds up. Hopefully this will be enough information but should anything else be needed please let me know. Thank you for your time and I look forward to a reply.

2. Daniel Rock

Daniel Rock Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

3. Chainbreaker2012

Yes, I have done from loose to very tight and at very tight it starts jumping the teeth on the gear so I stop it as soon as I hear it do that. It is acting like the hotend isnt hot enough almost like the filament is pulling all the heat out of the hotend. My filament is recommended for 200 up to 220 and the only way I can get it to extrude is at 245 and up. but it still does this after it feeds a few inches. Most times I cant even use the load function on the printer since it's a guarantee that it will jam up. cold pull shows a perfect nozzle end with no dirt and not clogged up.

4. Fast2L

Fast2L New Member

I have the same issue and gone thru the same process trying different tensions. I've emailed support and waiting on a response, but out of curiosity can you see or feel any burrs on the cooling block where the filament passes thru the gears? On mine I can feel the filament catching if I slide a piece thru.

5. Chainbreaker2012

I havent tried that yet, I will though as soon as I get back home.

6. Daniel Rock

Staff Member

Have you made all the firmware modifications that are required?

7. Chainbreaker2012

Yes all firmware has been updated, even tried another persons firmware that worked for theirs that have the same setup as mine. Still the same problem of mot being able to extrude. I can push the filament in and try and do a filament load and it will jam up on a filament load. this is with brand new nozzle and all. It is acting like it is pulling all the heat from the heatbreak when the filament goes into it. if i go manually feed it through i can push the filament through fine by hand with the tension lever pulled back but not by feeding with the extruder itself.

8. Thorinair

Thorinair Well-Known Member

Have you re-adjusted the motor current on your stepper driver?

9. Chainbreaker2012

Yes, adjusted to .8 and have tried down to .6 and up to 1

10. Danny Baughan

Danny Baughan Member

I'm in the same club. TPU is my biggest problem right now, I'm oiling but thats a plaster not the solution. I have several TPU all varying in "hardness". I initially noticed it more in the softer spaghetti filaments but sure enough I get it even in the PLA style so called easyprint flexibles.
    As I only purchased this to print TPU faster it's kinda frustrating.

11. Daniel Seah

Daniel Seah Member

Same here, it just wouldn't print TPU as what they had advertise for. Been struggling for one week now doing all those tweaking.

12. Eng89

Eng89 New Member

I just installed the Hemera on my Sidewinder X1 and I'm having the same issue with TPU. Can't even load the filament without it jamming. Looks like heat creep to me. When I pull out the filament, the last inch is fatter with an almost flat end. In the past I've solved this by swapping with a PTFE lined heatbreak. Did't really expect that to be necessary with the Hemera though....... Has anyone with the problem been able to figure out how to fix it?

13. Cwood

Cwood Member

Nope same problem here. Ive been in contact with support and all I'm getting is settings tips and told that sainsmart brand tpu is particularly troublesome which I cant believe, sainsmart is some of the best of the harder tpu brands.

Mine wont print any flexibles yoyi, sainsmart, or ninjaflex, at any speed 20mm/sec to 80mm/sec at any amount of retraction..I've also ran tension from none to max and still no dice. I think e3d needs to stand behind their product and find a fix quickly or refund us our $$$

14. Danny Baughan

Danny Baughan Member

I call complete BS acusing Sainsmart. As mentioned above I have many (well 7 is many I suppose) TPU's of varying degees of hardness, some are practically PLA they are so rigid. Thinking about it thats including the now defunct Rigid Ink flexible PLA... I mean it doesn't get any stiffer.

Eng89, you're probably going to have to use a dab of oil (I'm using rapeseed) like I'm doing if you NEED to print TPU.

Cwood likes this.
  15. Cwood

Cwood Member

Interesting how you're oiling. Why for the first 6-7 hours of printing did mine run flawlessly. I wonder if it was because there was oil residue left on the gears from machining.

16. Danny Baughan

Danny Baughan Member

Dab some oil around about 10cm of filament, not a huge abount though. I Oil some kitchen towel and wipe the filament through it. I will generally last for a moderate 3-4 hr print before I do it again. Many people don't bother but when going back to my staple PLA/PETG I will push through 15cm of cleaning filament. As I say I don't think this is needed but it doesn't hurt.

17. Daniel Rock

Staff Member

Have you guys been able to print with a standard filament such as PLA just find and it's only the flexible filament that is the issue? If you are also struggling with a standard material it would indicate that there was an issue with the Hemera unit. We are aware of some gear-related issues with Hemera Units at the moment.

18. Danny Baughan

Danny Baughan Member

Can print PETG and PLA all day long without a problem. Did have a few tweaks early doors but that didn't take long to iron out.

19. Cwood

Cwood Member

No problem with petg or pla. Just tpu.

20. Cwood

Cwood Member

I know I replied to my ticket email that my issue had been solved. It's back and I cant tell why. Seems totally random