Hi from Thirsk, North Yorkshire

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JustinSB, Mar 5, 2018.

1. JustinSB

JustinSB Member

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to 3D printing, as I've been struggling with a Geeetech Prusa I3 Pro W since I got it in early December last year. It was/is a in need of a great deal of work to get it functional. The extruder is a total disaster, with slipping, grinding & so much skipping that it crashes the whole system. The X-axis & Y-axis backlash is horrible, & the Z-axis & its wobble exhibited every text book problem that seems to exist. Lots of other bits were out of alignment, & the stepper motor driver blew on my stock extruder - & all that was just in the first 6 or 7 weeks of trying to use it. Anyway, as a result, I am now well versed in editing & compiling Marlin. I have lovely new lead screws running my Z-axis on both sides & one of the fist print jobs when my new Titan & Lite6 combo arrive will be to print myself some linear bearings. Against all odds, I have actually had ball bearings fall out of the Geeetech LM8UU bearings & roll across my desk - when I took they-axis to pieces to have a look at why they were grinding so much. I know it cost very little to purchase this printer, but everything about it was way, way beyond a joke as so much of it is just so appallingly badly made.

However, with a proper extruder & hotend, I hope to be able to print my way through to a nice, reliable printer. Of course, by the time I finish, very little of it will still be original & I will probably have spent at least double what I paid for it on the upgrades & fixes. Distressingly, that would have bought me an Original Prusa I3 MK2S kit from Prusa Research, which would've just worked, straight out of the box (& which would also have had an E3D hotend on it). But, & this is the important thing, I bought this to learn about 3D Printers - & during the last three months, I really, really have. I now really understand how Cartesian printers work, & why they often don't. I'm getting loads of troubleshooting experience. Plus, I've really started to get stuck into Fusion 360. My OctoPi is great & I've got GPIO relays switching the lights & printer PSU. It may have been a vertical learning curve, but I'm getting there.

Ephemeris likes this.
  2. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

Hi Justin, welcome

heh - my first 3d printer was a cheap i3 clone. By now I think the only original parts are the frame and the 8mm rods. I definitely learned a lot that way :) Had a lot of fun (and frustration).

Right now it has a Titan with v6 - and will be fitted with a Titan aero as soon as I get round to it (been sitting in its box waiting to be fitted for a while now). Possibly the single best upgrade I did was to add octoprint to it. The machine still looks a horrible mess, with a cheap and nasty PC power supply, and badly routed wiring etc, but its also a stable and reliable workhorse - it just works.

My bigbox is a lovely printer, but currently in bits part way though a conversion to IDEX - stalled while I find time. That has been and continues to be a learning experience, but when not in bits is a lovely printer to use. I've upgraded that to Duet wifi and Duet5 - seriously thinking of ugrading to Duet wifi on the i3 clone as well - so nice to use.

After that lot is finished, I'm planning to build one from scratch (eventually) - possibly a CoreXY built on 30x30 extrusions. Time will tell.

Fun hobby :)

3. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Hi Justin,

We all take different routes, I built a RepRap (sort of) then a BigBox which works wonderfully, but then you want to change, in my case to a Volcano and Edge filament, given up for a while. Not sure which route is best, buy one that just doesn't work or one that does but is made for modification (the BigBox) as no two are the same, and it's always down as applying the next improvement.

Fusion 360 still in it's infancy with me but getting there........or will be !

4. JustinSB

JustinSB Member

I'm actually thinking of reworking the frame on my i3 Prusa clone too, as I'm sure that I could do something much more solid with V-Slot Aluminium Extrusion. However, that's a long way down the road as I have to get this baby functioning first. Fingers crossed my E3D extruder & hotend should arrive in a few days, & if I'm really lucky, I'll be printing by the weekend.