High end linear rails

Discussion in 'Motion System' started by Cam_Motion, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Cam_Motion

Cam_Motion Active Member

On a video with Thomas Sanladerer at the E3D factory, Sanjay showed some linear rails which were more expensive than the Hiwin ones. This video seems to have been deleted and I can't remember the manufacturers name. Is it possible to have the manufacturer and model no. of the linear rail that was tested?

2. jannau

jannau Member

The manufacturer was IKO. The model number is not specified but IKO has probably linear rails with similar or the same dimensions as Hiwin mgn/w. The video is not deleted:

Speaking about the IKO rails startung at 8:40min.

3. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

The Hiwins that come on the Toolchanger are pretty damn nice though. It feels incredibly sturdy with no play in it whatsoever.

4. Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen Well-Known Member

FYI. NEVER remove the shoes from the rails. I removed one once from my CR1 and the ball bearings fell out. Putting them back in was not that big a deal, but if you don't have something underneath to catch them (luckily I did) then buhbye bearings.

5. Cam_Motion

Cam_Motion Active Member

Does anyone know what parts E3D used in their testing of IKO parts. The nearest IKO rails I've found to the 450mm Hiwin rails used by E3D are 480mm in length.

6. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

that should work there is quite a bit of space on the aluminum extrusion that holds the rail. There is almost 5cm.

7. Jai Stanley

Jai Stanley Well-Known Member

How much do you want to spend? And to what end? Machines out there polish mirrors for space telescopes.... Give Renishaw a bell :) .

With the bearing surfaces of the supplied Hiwin bearings, the artifacts I see on the surface of prints are predominantly from the stepper motor in the extruder and the X/Y to a lesser extent. I'm not convinced its not the profile of the teeth on the extruder gear showing up either! Anyway: my point is, don't worry about the quality of the supplied bearings unless you have a very specific requirement. I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs, but thought I'd throw my tuppence in in case it helps.

Good luck!

Jai