hit a volumetric flow 60mms/3 with a pancake stepper

Discussion in 'Titan' started by lance, Jan 16, 2017.

1. lance

lance Well-Known Member

So I was doing some experimenting on one of our printers with a V6 volcano and a titan with a pancake stepper on it with 1.75 filament and wanting to see what its limit is. Lubricating the filament with canola oil was a key part of it as well. up until now I had done some prints at 40mms/3 but knew that it could go harder so I made this design to use as my flow test model

[​IMG]

I was printing at 50mm/s with 0.6 layer height and a 1.2mm nozzle with my layer width set to 2mm.
    Open top and bottom and a single perimeter so it was just one continuous layer, i tried spiralizing but found it flowed better with it turned off. Although I had to set my temp to 265 before i was able to eliminate most of the backstepping.

The part didnt look perfect, and there was the odd backstep every couple layers but other than that it worked fine!

I'm not great at identifying stepper motors but this is what was written on the back of the pancake stepper. i forget its torque as I don't remember where we got them from :p
    17HS08-1004S
    OSM 20160215

2. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Wow, how are you introducong the canola oil? Image isn't loading for me

3. lance

lance Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

this is the image that wasn't loading, it is the design i made as a flow test, designed to give the longest layer time so the part has enough time to cool.

[​IMG]

this is the hotend setup, the top teal clip on the filament has some foam in it that cleans the filament, and the clip underneath it has the same foam in it but with a 2 drops of canola oil on it, which then gets fed into the extruder

Miasmictruth likes this.
  4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Are those clips for the foam 3d printed? If so, do you have a link to the file? Looks great. Thanks.

5. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

They look like this one http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:190118 - I've been using one on my Prusa i3 for a while, works perfectly. I've yet to print a couple for my BigBox though - this has reminded me to get round to it sometime :)

danzca6 likes this.
  6. lance

lance Well-Known Member

that is the file, yes. the canola oil is key to hitting a high flowrate, all of our machines printing PLA have been fitted with this clips and have their filament lubricated with canola oil

danzca6 likes this.
  7. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

Does this also work with ABS?

8. lance

lance Well-Known Member

canola oil probably isnt best for ABS as ABS requires higher temps which can start to burn the canola oil, some sort of mineral oil would be better for ABS. I've used a super light machine oil on my UM2 for abs which helped. basically most printable plastics benefit from different types of oil lubrication

Tom De Bie likes this.
  9. Cedric_K

Cedric_K Member

Fine oil is pretty good option for this purpose, even if my point of view is no oil at all