Holy rusted Aero Batman.

Discussion in 'Titan' started by Dexter Mobley, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Dexter Mobley

Dexter Mobley Member

I'm stricken with busted bearings and the mis-aligned hob gear. E3d did send me a new hob gear. I also asked for a new bearing at the same time, but that was not sent per the pending news. So now when I go to swap the hob gear, I have no bearing left in the aero heatsink. It has completely disintegrated leaving only the outside sleeve, which is now wedged into the heatsink. Anyone have a clue on how to get the remainder out?

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

For those of us without an Aero a photo would be handy :)

3. Dexter Mobley

Dexter Mobley Member

For some reason i cant upload a jpg direct, here it is on imgur - imgur.com/gallery/y3lhS

#3 Dexter Mobley, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  4. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

You could try freezing the whole thing as maybe the metal will shrink faster that the plastic holding it. And/or making a press to push out the metal housing.

Is there a hole straight through the plastic so that you can see the metal of the bearing housing from both sides? If so then with a washer slightly larger than the OD of the bearing housing on one side maybe spaced away from the plastic too, and a threaded rod through the ID you could make an arrangement to pull the bearing housing out.

5. Dexter Mobley

Dexter Mobley Member

Nope - can't push from the other side since the hole on that side is screw sized. And it is metal on metal, so no plastic. No one from e3d had chimed in on if this is pressed in, glued in or what?

#5 Dexter Mobley, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  6. Quinn

Quinn Member

Putting them in the freezer wont make the outer ring of the bearing shrink enough. If you have a can of air duster handy you can turn the can upside down and blast it with the liquid C02 propellant. The C02 should be cold enough to shrink the outer band enough to pull it out. It might take a couple tries as the main housing is aluminum and affected as well.