Hotend won't go above ~235

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by DW_, Feb 14, 2021.

1. DW_

DW_ Member

I just installed an E3D V6 hotend on Ender 3 Pro and I'm trying to complete the initial tightening of the nozzle but the hotend won't go above ~235 and I get heating failed error. See chart. It looks like the heater output is maxed out, but I can't find any settings to change the heater output in Marlin. Any thoughts?

E3D V6_temp issue_14Feb2021.PNG

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

A quick search in Duckduckgo.com gets lots of hits, I tried "e3d can't reach max temperature" results vary depending on what search terms you use.

This page although not directly related to your problem has useful info on 12v and 24v heaters, temp measurement with a thermocouple vs thermistor etc.

Search engines tend to fin more info in the e3d forum than it's own search facility, there are lots of posts on not reaching max temp, spend a few minutes searching.

(one of many hits..............http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/max-temp-error-on-e3d-v6-hotend.7769/ )

(never seen this before but potentially some good info................http://creativegraphicsgroup.com/e3d-how-to )

I'm really rusty on this but from memory the heater could be 24v but your power supply is 12v or any combination. Check on the heater body what it is and measure its resistance then do some sums and calculate the watts = V squared / Resistance sort of thing, again lost of info here if you search on it. There may also be different wattage heaters for a specific voltage too.

The temp measurement could need some intermediate circuit between the measuring device and the controller (as in the original E3D Bigbox)

3. DW_

DW_ Member

Thanks for the reply. I have searched for hours without finding a solution. I measured the resistance of the 30W heater during install at 19.4 ohms which matches up with the installation instructions.

I also updated the firmware for the change in thermistor type The resistance of the thermistor is measuring at 132 kohms, which seems a bit higher than the 100 kohms which is stated as being approximate value you should get. Not sure if this is indicative of an issue with the thermistor.

4. DW_

DW_ Member

I think I actually figured this out. I was using the stock 40mm fan on the hotend which was providing too much cooling and preventing the hotend from getting up to temp. I switched to the 30mm fan supplied with the e3d and was able to get up to 285. This was somewhat surprising to me...figured the heater would have enough power to overcome the cooling of the fan, but apparently not.

5. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Heh-Ho. The blue shroud that E3D provided for the original BigBox install could also be fitted in two different ways providing more or less airflow...... even though they said it couldn't. I guess the limit on heating is related to not softening Aluminium which could happen if it gets too warm.

Glad you got it fixed.