how difficult to increase y size Pro version

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Jeff Parks, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Jeff Parks

Jeff Parks New Member

I would prefer to have a y printable area of 254mm. Is it possible and if so, would the effort be straightforward or require considerable work?

thanks in advance for the replies

2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

On G+ have a look at Richard Horne's modification that has put outriggers on the bed. Although this was for a different reason, it could be the basis of what can be done, although I would be wary of the offset loading on the Z axis that may need quad lead screws to provide more solid support. The real problem is extending the Y-carriage rails, although you may be able to bring longer rods through the front panel with the supports mounted outside to gain 50mm.

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

The motion system is just printed parts and rods, the case is cut wood/acrylic and can be redesigned without problems. Someone already increased the Z I think?
    The main problem I have is the heated bed. I never tried a printer without a heated bed, started with an UM2 then the BB but I don't wanna miss it...
    The PCB is fixed size and I have no idea what other "formats" are out there.
    The plate itself, well if you go and get an aluminium bed there are several manufacturers offering user defined sizes. Maybe an aluminium bed can be slightly larger than the PCB but I have no idea how far you can go until heat conduction is less than needed to get the edges of the bed to the temperature you want or how much less you can accept...

4. Proto_BB

Proto_BB Well-Known Member

I have half thought about two heated beds side by side with a larger single pane of glass for a 400x300. I'm holding out for E3d to announce BB2.0 with 400x300 :)