How do I modify firmware for Pro?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by buildabear, Jun 3, 2016.

1. buildabear

buildabear Member

From an update, proclamation of new firmware was posted. I am a noob and have a pro. I have no idea how to "edit and configure for pro". Is there some detailed instructions somewhere for beginners and non programmers?

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Your question is legitimate. For now I can just point you to the Firmware Flashing Guide. I am preparing a page for the Wiki, but not yet finished writing everything.
    Also there are no "official" compiled firmware files released yet, we are working on that, so "the easy way" is not really available.

If you read the guide and want to flash something new, maybe because you have some issues, you can get ready compiled firmwares from https://jenkins.alitecs.de.

3. buildabear

buildabear Member

Looks like the firmwares available is for dual extruder set ups? I need one for the single direct extruder pro and not sure which parameters I have to modify for that to work.

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

There are two for the Pro too on the build server. In the official repo all is configure for dual. You gotta go through the the comments and change things to match a Pro...

#4 Alex9779, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  5. buildabear

buildabear Member

That is for Hybrid Pro though? I'm still on the old direct extruder without Titan. And I guess I'm too inexperienced to know what to change to match a Pro. Not a programmer. Guess I'm stuck with rc3 then.

6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Hybrid or old Pro does not matter. Build volume is identical.
    All you gotta change is the E steps.
    Just note the E steps you have set now in the firmware and set the same number in the new one...

buildabear likes this.
  7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh well gotta correct myself a bit, the offset for the Z probe is different but that does not affect operability.

8. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

For the official repos I find this completely unacceptable. The pro is a legitimate version sold by E3D so offering only dual firmware with a one line instruction (edit for pro) and no proper guidance gives users absolutely zero confidence. For the community supported builds like Alex's work this is fine but for the official repos proper support for the versions sold is required.

9. Dr Jeep

I thought I knew what I was doing but I just tried this and made all the adjustments I thought I needed to, if I try and use it however then autohome results in a nasty head crash on the Z axis. So I'd leave well alone for now, lucky I have a backup of the version I was using :)

10. Dr Jeep

Right I think I have it licked now. there are multiple problems with the configuration.h file when using pro's particularly if you want to leave auto bed levelling enabled as the comments suggest. Also for some reason they have disabled the min height before autohome so if you start from a Z position lower than your Z offset then you can't home the printer....ooops :)

I've got a fixed version for the Pro now, if anyone is desperate to use the Bigbox RC6 release on a Pro I can share it, but in all honesty I'd wait for them to finish the official version, I've been on to Greg via support with my findings and he's working on it.