How do you connect the IEC Mains?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Andy Cohen, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen Well-Known Member

The wiring guide, step six REQUIRES a picture of exactly where each wire gets attached... PLEASE!
    The attached is what I would have expected, but it would have been appropriate to show a picture of it in the guide and not assume the builder knows how to do it.... and the pic that is there seems to show only one of the leads going through the switch.

Attached Files:

#1 Andy Cohen, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Nibbels likes this.
  2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I wondered about this during the build. There's a clear warning that if you're not comfortable with this to consult an electrician. From that, I wondered if, by not showing the exact picture, they essentially have removed themselves from responsibility for someone saying they followed the picture and, for what, ever reason having a bad experience. In the end, the only way to do it yourself is to look this up, or get an electrician.

Greg_The_Maker likes this.
  3. Andy Cohen

Well if that was the idea then it stinks. Note that the pic they DO show seems to indicate that they have wired their IEC differently. Not including a picture that shows the wiring of the switch is an EXTREMELY BAD move! If they were so worried about builders doing it wrong then I have to ask... would it have killed ya to simply attach the wires ahead of time??? After all they went to the trouble of configuring the coreXY belts. That was a bit of a surprise that they did that yet seem to not want to deal with 4 rather simple terminal connections.

#3 Andy Cohen, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  4. Spoon Unit

I totally understand the frustration, but I think it's a sign of the times. If they show you what to do, and they get any part of that wrong, and you die, then that's the end of their business. Instead, they cover themselves from liability (to some extent), buy recommending you call an electrician. I know it sounds over-protective, but seriously, if you're not sure, call an electrician. The cost of an hour of an electrician's time vs the alternative is miniscule, and certainly far far less than the cost of the machine. On the other hand, they do go on to give detailed information about how to properly earth the 240v heated bed, which I suspect has just as much room for danger. Perhaps they caveated themselves there too. Not sure; it's a while back now.

5. Andy Cohen

I've got experience wiring these switches. it's not for me that I am making this an issue. If e3D actually wants these machines to get out there and bootstrap tool changing which in turn boosts sales of their products then it is not their own best interests to pull something like this. Again, if there was any worry about safety then all they needed to do was simply plug the wires into it before they stick it into the box! Instead they have a gaping hole in the build instructions that in no way shape or form absolves them of liability for someone electrocuting themselves. All the lawyer has to argue is that E3D did not provide adequate instructions to do it safely and correctly.

6. Spoon Unit

Yes. That would have saved me time for sure.

7. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

It's not about protecting anything, it's a simple IEC socket. I had the wrong parts in house when I was making the instructions and didn't want to show those. I have different parts incoming and will update when I have them in house.

mhe and Spoon Unit like this.
  8. Andy Cohen

Awesome!!! Thank you for the reply!

9. Nibbels

Nibbels Well-Known Member

Hello @Greg Holloway

about the IEC: It is still a buggy instruction ^^.
    If I had not seen the leftover blue cable I would have driven the printer without it forever. That was because I figured there is no blue cable loop on the picture so it cannot be there. -> So I first thought have to connect neutral directly - against my first feeling not to do so.

Please care! This is the most dangerous part of building the printer and you miss to secure that. The chances that some people make mistakes here is too big.

Greetings

10. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

Hence why we say to get a qualified electrician to do it.

I will try and update the documentation over the next few days.

11. Nibbels

Nibbels Well-Known Member

Hehe,

a nice try rejecting the responsibility but no! Wrong pictures within the official documentation may misslead everyone.
    But thanks for the update.

And: The documentation does not suggest twisting the bed sensor cable into a twisted pair. I think we should do it. Should we, or not? These sensor cables run along the 230V cable.

Greetings

12. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

i dont think it makes any difference, the thermistor is resistive so it is not sensitive to interferance.

Nibbels likes this.