How large should this hole on hot end be?

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Henry feldman, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

The hole leading from the idler/hobgoblin going down into the block is extremely tight. There was a fair amount of stringing on both and the hole is so narrow that 1.75mm filament wouldn't fit through to align the hobgoblin, so I opened it to 2mm with a drill bit. The hole coming out the bottom of the block looks at least 2.5mm, but not sure if the top is supposed to be that large. I have to say without effort at 2mm it is really, really hard to get the filament to drop through. Before assembling it, if I need to widen it further, it would be helpful to know.

[​IMG]

2. Henry feldman

@Mike Kelly since nobody seems to be jumping with a response, any ideas?

3. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't think it really matters. The PTFE tubing from the hotend goes right up into this to near the top, as long as the motor part of the carriage sits on the hotend part fine and you can push filament through then you're good to go.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I would venture a guess they designed it to have a 2mm hole to line up with the 2mm hole in the ptfe. That's what I reamed mine out to. Just don't make the mistake I did and do it with the hobb goblin in place, take that off first

5. Henry feldman

Cool, thanks.