How often to lubricate?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by blarbles, Oct 27, 2019.

1. blarbles

blarbles Well-Known Member

@Greg Holloway How often do you recommend reapplying the magnalube for maintenance?

2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

The coupling mechanism should be weekly, but things also depend on how much use the machine is getting.

We shall have a datasheet out soon with maintenance and service intervals.

Spoon Unit and mhe like this.
  3. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Datasheet sounds good. I've definitely reapplied on the coupling once so far, as it looked like it was getting a little dry. Hadn't really thought about the rails.

4. Spoon Unit

@Greg Holloway, Was this datasheet ever made available?

I'm beginning to get squeaking when the Z axis is used during the mesh leveling program. I'm not entirely clear on exactly where I should and shouldn't lubricate. My guess is that it's the Z rail, but is lubricant only required in the groove or does the rail itself need something?

5. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Spoon Unit likes this.
  6. Spoon Unit

Interesting. I didn't think the leadscrew was lubricated. I had thought it was dry with a POM nut adjacent to the rail cartridge that required no lubrication. Any tips on how to apply lubricant to the leadscrew effectively?

7. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

I move the bed to the top and put small spots (grain of rice sized) at 25mm (1") intervals along the length, run be the bed the bottom and do the same again and then run the axis up and down a few times.

8. Yakeru

Yakeru Member

Hello !

I started getting random tool drops out of nowhere, and I realized that when the tool head moves away from the tool post after detaching a tool, the tool will occasionally be dragged out of the post, and fall, or hang in a bad position.

It immediately stopped after "cleaning" and "lubing" the tool posts and T-bar (by "cleaning" and "lubing" I mean rubbing it with my fingers and spraying a bit of silicon on it ... ) and the tools started dropping again after 2h of print (with tool change at each layer).

So I suppose a real clean and lube is in order... and when I saw that the datasheet recommends to do it every week, I felt really guilty towards the poor little tool changer :)

So now my question is : magnalube is stupidly expensive on amazon.ca , but I checked and it seems to be a silicon grease with PTFE. And you also recommend lithium grease. So should I just get another silicon/PTFE grease that we find here (like a Super Lube Silicone Lubricating Grease) or a lithium grease (like Lucas white lithium or the one from MG chemicals) ? What are the reasons/specs that made you choose Magnalube in particular ?

Thanks for your help !

Nibbels likes this.
  9. John Meacham

John Meacham Well-Known Member

I had issues with tools falling off but it turned out my Y length from the homing point to the tools was ever so slightly off what is in the standard configs. by smudging it a fraction of a mm I now get perfect tool docking/undocking. It might be worth checking if something like that is the issue for you because it sure sounds like the same issue i was having. When the locking T is inserted into the tool and begins to rotate it should not be touching any part of the inside until it is almost rotated to the locked position. in particluar it shouldn't slide against the inside of the plate or noticably move the toolhead in Y at all just by locking/unlocking it. mine was just barely sliding against the plate at the unlocked position which was enough to detach the tool off the magnet and get dragged along occasionally.

Lube shouldn't be an issue because there should be zero contact between your tool and toolhead while it is pulling away if things are properly aligned.

John

10. Spoon Unit

While we're on the topic of tool collection, I realised I had let an issue creep in when configuring homing. To try to keep it short, I had configured my tool collection to have a slight clunk on collection. Turns out, that clunk was an attempt of the machine to move to a specific coordinate, fail to do so, but think it had got there anyway. So as I went through and configured tools 1, 2, and 3 I was introducing an error in the Y position with each clunk. I went back through them all over the past couple of days and changed the clunk to a mere click. To do this, I would move away, then move to the final collection position. I repeated this, incrementing the collection position by 0.1 each time until a got that slightest of clicks. Now they're all almost silent on collection. The position where they just click should also allow the T on the grabber to fully rotate, so then you don't get any failed collections. One of the issues I occasionally had before this was that the tool head would move to collect, but because the previous tool had clunked, the new collection position was slightly off, meaning that the T could not rotate and then either the tool would not be collected at all, or would be jerked off the holding pins, with varying results.

11. Yakeru

Yakeru Member

Yep ! That was it ! I tweeked the Y position to grab the tool, I had to increase it quite a bit, almost 1 mm, suddenly out of nowhere... will keep an eye on that. As for the lubricant, I hear some squiking when it grabs the tool, at the end, so I am still going to use a bit.

Did exactly the same ! Slightest click, then remove 0.1 mm. Works perfectly now ! (just the annoying squeaking to address :p)

12. Spoon Unit

When does the squeaking coming occur ?