How to Insert a Hex Bolt into an FDM 3D Printed Part

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by R Design, Jan 8, 2016.

1. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

model,
    pause the print at layer X,
    insert the bolt
    finish print
    wash away support material

: we should be able to do this!

2. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

it might be possible in Simplify3D to insert a pause at the desired layer height allowing you to insert the nut before resuming.

Create process from 0 to desired layer height. Add a pause at the end. Create second process starting at the same layer, once you've inserted the nut unpause and the print finishes. I haven't tried this but I think it'd work.

3. UlrichKliegis

UlrichKliegis Well-Known Member

If you don't move the nozzle away, it will inevitably leave a nasty oozing drop. Be present when the pause occurs and have a piece of paper, cardboard, baking paper or similar ready, put it between nozzle and object, and pull it away immediately after hitting resume. Peel off any oozed shmonz from the nozzle before resuming printing.

Cheers,
    U.

4. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Can someone explain this video to me? He goes into SW and then models the support material as an actual object. It would seem at that point he would only need to set extruder 1 to support filament and extruder 2 to ABS or whatever and print it. In the video instead he goes on to what seems like remodel the entire support infrastructure in some complex manner and then print (and then ironically hand picks off the dissolvable support material).

5. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

i do this currently with a one nozzle printer.
    very easy to do.

6. theTroll527

theTroll527 Well-Known Member

I think a better way would be make a base for the print that will handle the length of the bolt you are putting in. Print to the stop point, insert the bolt in place, continue the print. This would remove any problems with not getting the item put back in place or adhering well after you moved it. It would also make it quicker to insert the bolt and get the printing back up and running.

The con would be that it would waste the material for the base.

7. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

Well you'd only need a thin cylinder for height and to keep a clear space for the shaft of the bolt and the rest would be support which isn't at all dense. Honestly that video makes it more complicated than it needs to be.

8. R Design

Colin likes this.
  9. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Novel, but I print knobs with the bolt recess open then print plugs to close the recess when the bolt is fitted. The plug also incorporates the company logo. The design does not require support but RD's technique does have uses with more complex models with metal inclusions.

10. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

It would seem you could do a reverse of this, to say insert a gear with teeth sticking out of a model. Imagine making the shaft in the middle of something with a hex pattern and the gear had a hex shaft (or whatever) like this. This would be a cool technique. Here is a quick sketch (invested 3 seconds in making it so yes, I am aware of flaws in drawing)

mike01hu likes this.
  11. R Design

In this video

which is interesting in it's own right (the markforged printer which embeds carbon fibre in nylon FFF prints)

in the 10th minute the guy explains that the software sends you an e-mail when it's time to embed a nut.

;-)

mike01hu likes this.
  12. UlrichKliegis

UlrichKliegis Well-Known Member

Imagine that email gets lost in your spam filter...

mike01hu likes this.