How to print directly from Simplify3D

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Tetrikus, Mar 27, 2016.

1. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

I agree with Mike....

haha, sorry had too.....

anyways it might be good to have a section dedicated to Pi/Displays as a lot of people are having questions in regards to the display and or Pi

mike01hu likes this.
  2. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure my internal PI has something catastrophically wrong. I am giving up and using one of my many other PIs and will run it externally. That way I can put my little 6" monitor and a keyboard so I can debug. It crashes frequently and becomes unworkable internally. Maybe I will mount the PI externally on one of those back spare motor mounts... And given that I run a Linux cluster in the lab, and have enough PIs to tile my kitchen with, I am pretty confident that this is either a bad DC-DC converter or the PI itself...

mike01hu likes this.
  3. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Do you have a circuit draw up for this?

4. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'd rather see a FAQ added to the wiki with common issues/guides than add more forums where people will most likely mot use as intended.

Archania likes this.
  6. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

I'm a bit busy tonight but I'll stick up something in a day or so

7. Dr Jeep

8. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Is there a block diagram showing the connections between Rumba and Pi and the outside world (like Ethernet)

Any any thoughts about exactly how to get at the Pi once the (impregnable) base is assembled?

If I had thought of it I would have plugged in a WiFi dongle but now it's all but impossible.

A plug in Pi, actually in the base, but accessible from the outside world would be handy, rather than built in and inaccessible.

9. Henry feldman

Since my inside pi seems to be non-functional, and it was so frustrating, I simply took another pi and made a matching color enclosure and am mounting it outside (yeah, I run an external USB cable into the inside which doesn't look as elegant, but it's my workshop not the set of a TV show). This allowed me to put on a keyboard and 7" (18cm) HD monitor making it actually easy to configure...

10. Henry feldman

Oh, and this way when I had to crash power-off the printer due to an exuberant print job slamming the nozzle into the side of the glass (still figuring that one out) my pi didn't reboot as well...

11. Dr Jeep

What have you done with the camera ribbon Henry ?

12. Old_Tafr

I had initially as doing things in stages, I had copied the gcode file to the Rumba SD card and printed from there. Having configured OctoPi I have just sent another design via Octoprint which although I guess I could disconnect the browser connection I left it connected, this of course means I have to have my PC on all the time whilst printing. Possibly instructions somewhere say if this is necessary or not?

I guess if you leave a print running (with the PC still connected) then access over the web means you can have more than one connection to OctoPrint?

But as suggested having a screen and keyboard on the Pi would remove the necessity to have the PC connected at all once the gcode was copied to the Pi.

If the Pi remains inside then a useful mod to the base would be to have connections mounted on the side of the printer base allowing external connection for kb and monitor and USB.. power too if necessary. Making the SD card slot wider or funnel shaped would help too in getting the SD card in and out............especially on the Pi3 with no spring loading.

13. Henry feldman

Not elegant yet (I will replace with the REALLY long one I have left over from another project (love Adafruit)) it just runs outside the case through the hole. Have a big slew of prints I need to get out, before I can pause and do some mods.

14. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

It sounds like I should think about mounting the Pi externally from the start.

15. Henry feldman

It's so easy and then you have the ability to actually access it. And of course the whole SD slot issue doesn't happen either...

mike01hu likes this.
  16. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Simple fix for the SD slot "issue":
    IMG_0519.JPG IMG_0520.JPG

BTW this was not my invention, credit goes to RichRap. In this post on G+ he posted this image. There you can see the solution.

Miasmictruth likes this.
  17. Miasmictruth

One why to get to the Pi is to remove the acrylic panel holding the LCD screen. It's still a tight fit but I was able to get to plug in the eithernet this way and the USB is on the same side.

Best would be to get someone with small hands if available mine are to big to fit comfortably.

18. Old_Tafr

Removing the screen would have been useful when wiring up the Rumba.

Once completely built I was afraid of dropping nut traps inside and wasn't sure if the screen could be removed without access to the inside of the base in the first place.

I guess I'm talking about the whole assembly, whereas I guess you mean just the top panel holding the screen?

19. Miasmictruth

Yeah just the top plate, it is possible to drop the nut traps in but usually the just fall straight down so they are easy to grab. Think there are 8 had to pop it out the lcd twice to when I was finishing the wiring up.

20. Henry feldman

just a silly question, but do you mean you want to use Simplify3D directly to control the printer (e.g. tie up your computer while printing) rather than simply directly submitting up to Octoprint from S3D?