How to print directly from Simplify3D

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Tetrikus, Mar 27, 2016.

1. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

Im going to interject with a S3D question. Can you print half of a part with a different infill % over the other half?

2. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

Yes. You create two different processes that each start and stop at a different point.

I have seen videos of folks using as many as 4 processes in a single print.

3. TstarkEngineering

o wow ok thanks ill give it a shot

4. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

Here is a quick video link that explains it.
    https://youtu.be/EbQfifnzL4Q

So, you can have a model with high infill in the first set of layers the change to fast printing and low infill for the main part and then slow the print down and print in high detail for the last part. Or you can print multiple models and give each one their own settings and this is what the video shows.
    Since I just got my printer dialed in yesterday I have not had a chance to try this out, but it is fairly cool.

Miasmictruth likes this.
  5. TstarkEngineering

Thanks for the video, I just figured it out anyways. I find it odd you stop and start the new process on the same layer. I would think you would stop process 1 on (example 29) and start process 2 on (example 30). Nope you start and stop on the same layer...

6. Gianmarco Baldini

Hi Henry,
    Did you find the answer to your question? I wanted the same thing.
    Regards
    Gianmarco

7. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Nope, but I use octoprint myself, so wouldn't want that, just curios if that's what he meant.

8. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Wonder if it is possible to have a virtual serial port over Ethernet from raspberry.

Update:
    Just saying that suddenly gave me the chills. That would be a recipe for print failure!

#48 Stian Indal Haugseth, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  9. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Yeh it can be done with a virtual USB driver, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you want you could actually be the first to build my design for a USB switch between the OctoPi and the USB port on the back.

http://digimatic.co.uk/articles/tips-and-tricks/Hardware/simple-usb2-host-switch/

It's simple enough and that chip is available from various sources, the only thing is it's a fiddly .5mm pitch SMD chip so you need a MSOP carrier board (available on ebay) and a steady hand to solder it.

caveat: I put this together but haven't had a chance to actually try it yet, so try it on USB devices you don't like first :)

mike01hu likes this.
  10. Miriam

Miriam Active Member

Hi,

Below is a description of what I did, now switching from Octoprint is a simple disconnect/connect cable.

What you need:
    1 mini USB 2.0 cable
    2 USB 2.0 standard extension cables

What I did:
    • Took out the plywood part of USB entrench on the bottom back of the BigBox
    • Cut off most the protection from the male side of one extension cable on the See image: DSC_0047
    • Juggled it into the Bigbox through the hole
    • Placed tape instead of the parts cut off
    • Took the mini USB cable and pushed it in along side with the previous cable
    • Disconnected the mini USB cable connecting the Rumba and the Raspberry PI and isolated their metal parts (Instead of taking them out)
    • Plugged the new mini USB cable into the Rumba and the hacked extension cable into the Raspberry PI

So now when I want to work directly with Simplify3d I connect the Rumba (with mini USB cable) to my computer with the second extension cable and when I want to work with Octoprint/Raspberry PI I use the hacked extension cable.
    I hope the attached pictures explain it. (The order seems to be opposite)

Note: You can enlarge the USB hole in the BigBox so you don't have to tamper with the USB Cable, but the USB cable is much cheaper.

Attached Files: