How to save a print?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Miasmictruth, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

So far my print is looking beautiful but 8 hours in its starting to loose hold on the bed.

desperate times so I put hot glue around the offeding half. The hot bed is keeping it mostly melted but seems to have secured it somewhat. Any other ideas or tricks?

Attached Files:

2. wfredette

wfredette Well-Known Member

I use hot glue, too. If the part of the print that's lifting is close enough to the edge of the print bed, I've seen people use mechanical clips or fasteners, but hot glue has always worked well for me.

3. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

UHU stick and hairspray are also possible. Or painters tape, ABS solved in acetone. Printing a raft to enlarge bed adhesion will also help.

4. Miasmictruth

Thanks, for the responses

@Rob I was mostly talking about how to save a print in process, previous prints had stuck well not sure what happened

Hot glue worked perfect the next 24 hours the print never moved, had an issue with the y skipping at the 24 hour mark but that's a differnt issue :/

5. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

@Miasmictruth : Ah, ok. Nice to read that hot glue will help during printing. Something new learned today :)

6. Miasmictruth

I had to leave before I could assess the residual glue but I think I am going to have thourghly clean the glass and reapply my surface coating so there is a draw back.

7. wfredette

I generally just apply the hot glue in small spots where the skirt is lifting (or sometimes as a bridge between the model and the skirt if it's separated there.) The hot glue separates from the build plate easily for me once the plate has cooled down. I just use a razor blade to get under the blobs and they pop off.

8. Miasmictruth

Probably true on clean glass, no so much with 3d-eez, are you using clean glass or something else on the hotbed?

9. wfredette

I use AquaNet hairspray on the glass.

10. dsiegfried

dsiegfried Member

The best way to keep the part from lifting off the bed is to make sure it doesn't happen in the first place, because if you are getting lifting, you are getting warping and the part will not come out dimensionally accurate even if you use some kind of stop-gap like hot glue.

The methods to prevent warping depends on the material, size of the part and its design. ABS and large, flat parts are the hardest to keep from lifting and you may want to consider printing them on edge rather than horizontally.

You will learn as you go which type of parts require additional adhesive to prevent warping, from a thin coat of glue mixed with water or hairspray for smaller parts to two or more coats of glue stick for larger, flatter parts.

There is a bed adhesive called Wolfbite that works well on glass for ABS. However for large ABS parts the only way to prevent warping is a heated chamber.

This is a starting point you will learn as you go how to treat different designs to avoid warping.

11. Miasmictruth

Again this is simply about saving a part that's already doomed, I understand bed adhesion issues in general.

The part was purely decorative and I didn't want to start over.

But thanks for your response.