How to tell difference between titanium and stainless V6 heatbreak

Discussion in 'HotEnds & Extruders' started by Přemek Radil, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Přemek Radil

Přemek Radil Member

Hello,

I have recently bought e3d v6 titanium heatbreak from the reseller and I would like to confirm that the heatbreak is indeed titanium (it came only in sealable plastic bag). The quality looks fine, so I think it is not a clone (see https://forum.e3d-online.com/threads/heatbreak-china-vs-e3d-the-differences.1931/) but I am not sure about the material, both are non-magnetic. I don't want to use grinder obviously, so I thought I could weight it.
    Does anyone know what are the weights of e3d v6 titanium and stainless steel?
    Thank you.

Best regards, Přemek.

2. Marcus Mendenhall

Marcus Mendenhall Well-Known Member

Although many stainless steels are sort of non-magnetic, the fairly hard ones likely used for a heatbreak (400 series) aren't that non-magnetic. Even 316 has a moderate permeability. Try a good rare-earth magnet. If you can't feel _any_ interaction, it's probably titanium. The stainless ones should pull a little.

(Added note: I tried it. the magnetic attraction of my spare e3d SS heatbreak is quite noticeable. I can't pick it up completely, but it does pull.)

#2 Marcus Mendenhall, Dec 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  3. Přemek Radil

Přemek Radil Member

Mine does not pull at all, and the scales showed 2 grams (titanium has around half the density of stainless steel) to it seems legit.
    Thank you very much.

4. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Regular E3D heatbreaks are A2 Stainless, and weakly magnetic. Titanium is not magnetic.

5. Marcus Mendenhall

Marcus Mendenhall Well-Known Member

Interesting. I always thought of those steels as being too soft for this purpose. 304 and 18-8, which (from what little I know) are classic A2 steels, are really bendable.