Hybrid IDEX?

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Hugofitz, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Hugofitz

Hugofitz Active Member

I've been following the Bowden IDEX and Chase's direct drive IDEX. I definitely want to upgrade to dual extrusion, (currently running V1.1 Pro) my thinking is why not have a Bowden Head for fast printing and a Direct Titan head for fine work and flexible filaments? It will keep the combined weight on the Y axis down (obviously not as low as Bowden IDEX) for improving inertia related speed issues. Or is this half way house compromised in some other way that I haven't though of yet?

I'd appreciate people thoughts on this.

Hugo

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey Hugo,
    I was thinking about this myself for a while. With the BigBox I wanted to print Dual mainly because of support material and not because of real dual material.
    The Hybrid head suited me but leveling the nozzles was a pain and dripping filament and all that stuff you have problems with when you always have two hot nozzles moving around.
    I am following the IDEX conversion of Chase's design though I had one issue with it: printing PLA was difficult because of its low melting point. I had troubles with the filament getting soft in the heat sink because the hotend fan is covered a lot in that design and the air can go nowhere too.
    So the heat sink gets a lot warmer supported by the heat of the bed which lead to some clogs in the heatsink for me. Not so nice.
    I was thinking of a not so modular and changeable design based on Chase's where the hotend is not so covered. For the second one to save space a bowden about half the size of the first carriage might work too.
    But time is a limiting factor here.

To sum up my goals: open hotend for good cooling, IDEX, one side bowden to get 100% of the bed printable without having to change the case (some more holes or cutouts are ok, maybe moving the Y motor to the outside but not a whole new frame), sensor on the head for grid leveling with the duet as close as possible to the nozzle.

mike01hu and Hugofitz like this.
  3. Hugofitz

Hugofitz Active Member

I've got similar goal for my printer myself. Not super worried about grid levelling as I'm keen to pare down the print head to a minimum weight if posiible

I have found this ingesting design which would save hanging an extra stepper motor on the Y Axis and negate going IDEX.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1362557
    Might be an interesting engineering project to get it to work on the BigBox though!

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I saw such a panning earlier too on a Delta printer. My concern is the position accuracy when switching. Also this design is bowden only.
    I want at least one direct extruder.
    If you clamp a Titan on top of one extruder the distance between them increases so you need to tilt more.
    Also you need some metal parts and up until last weekend I didn't have any cheap and fast possibility to make some for me (that changed last Saturday so...).
    Actually this is too much of an experiment for me. I want this box going again. The current IDEX setup (Greg's design) would work, only problem I have is the position for the sensor because it is too far away from the nozzle and on the other side of the rods. So the sensor is perfectly leveled to the bed and grid leveling compensates differences. But only for the sensor not for the nozzle. It seems somethings not 100% perfect when moving from left to right side so the whole head tilts a little or does something else and because of that the nozzle is not compensated...
    Except the loss of build space. And I wanna get rid of that or as much as to 100% as possible.

mike01hu likes this.