Idea: Carbon fiber rods for gantry

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by mhe, Jan 1, 2018.

1. mhe

mhe Active Member

Hi folks, just stumbled across a vid of somebody testing ripple and backlash with different kinds of rods for the gantry at the same accelerations. Reducing moving mass on the gantry should lead to more precision and less backlash.

Has anyone of you tried this on a Bigbox? How strong would a carbon rod need to be for this to be a good thing? How about abrasion done to it by the bearings, would it work with IGUS self lubricating bushings?

JvdP likes this.
  2. JvdP

JvdP Well-Known Member

I've seen his videos before and I really like the idea. BigBox has a really, really heavy Y-gantry and thus you need to keep printing speeds low. In addition to this, on the dual it has a whopping 3 stepper motors on the Y-axis, even more on IDEX configurations. How can we reduce this weight?

If you want to know more about the carbon fiber X-axis tubes, including updates on abrasion, he has more videos.

More detailed info on Carbon Fiber Tubes:

Update regarding Abrasion:

In case you're still worried about abrasion, it might be of comfort that the tubes are very inexpensive. If only the X-axis was easy to swap...

mhe likes this.
  3. mhe

mhe Active Member

I already saw that the rods are pretty damn cheap, way cheaper than the steel rods. How about sagging? I am in the process of an IDEX conversion, might as well do that with carbon rods to get the weight down as much as I can. The conversion from the 1.0 dual with the heavy extruder steppers to titans should already shave off almost a full kilogram from the Y axis. I'll give it a shot, my steel rods won't go anywhere in case I want to go back, so why not!

eca and JvdP like this.