Ideas for frame upgrades?

Discussion in 'General' started by Miasmictruth, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I have seen a some ideas tossed around and one stretched frame which included a substantial z stretch. I was wondering what thoughts everyone might have.

Basically all I would want myself is to make it big enough to do IDEX with and hit 100% of the bed and maybe a little extra for development purposes, but I cant think of a way without re cutting all the panels. And replacing all the x,y rods.

I was thinking maybe a redesign using aluminum extrusions may be cheaper then trying to get laser cut acrylic panels.

Anyone have any better ideas? I know E3D is going to make some announcements soon but assuming for now that its not frame related.

2. Miasmictruth

Ideally I think it would be cool if there were enough people on board that we could all preform the same stretch instead of doing it haphazardly and individuals.

3. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

One thing I'd recommend is increase the height of the electronics bay so you can get a hand to some of the harder to reach spots.

Personally I would remove all of the hex recesses. These do nothing but weaken the panels and add stress concentrators to an already fracture prone material

A more complex change would be to go to thicker material for the "lower supports" so the electronics cover could be made bigger. Again this would be to make it easier to work in the electronics bay

4. Miasmictruth

I haven't had a chance to crunch any numbers since I am out of town, but I was thinking a cheapout way to strech the X might be to modify the X idler and motor mount to sit outside the Y axis.

The dangers would be you would have to cut out large holes in the side panels and it would expose moving parts outside the frame, so it would have to be done very carefully, would need to be reenforced in some way, and possibly gaurded if one were concerned with that. I am not sure if that would give us 100% of the X but it might be worth investigating.

Other downside would look a lot less pretty :/