If at first you don't succeed ...

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Spoon Unit, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I had a small breakage during the build. Makes no sense that this part broke given there was a nut trap try to spread stress, but it broke anyway.

E3D kindly offered to send a replacement with my next order and, as it wasn't a load bearing part, just carry on without it. So my dump bucket hangs by a single bracket.

Then I thought, why not just print one ! That turned out to be not so simple, as the drawings for the acrylic laser cuts are larger than reality and presumably scaled automatically based on the part which is being cut. Whatever, there's a reduction factor. I've been trying to get to the reduction factor.

[​IMG]

Following these two, I have another printing which I think will be hopefully right on the mark. So, for anyone else doing this, you need to scale the dxf drawings by:

I hope to post images of a fitted replacement soon.

Stefan likes this.
  2. UlrichKliegis

UlrichKliegis Well-Known Member

Pretty close to a conversion factor from mm to inches. that would be 0.03937 (computing it to subnanometer-accuracy does not make too much sense, sorry).

3. Spoon Unit

Well. In that case, I would guess that the precise mm to inches will get it. I never considered that. Oh and that number was just what came out the calculator so it was cut and paste. Apologies for the infinitesimals :).

One nice thing here about printing my own is that dump bucket can actually be removed quickly and easily now. Regardless of how perfectly you convert the 2D drawing, you still need to choose the extrusion height, and I think I have it at 4.2mm.

[​IMG]

4. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

Looks cool ! I was thinking about reprinting the front plate of the LCD screen. Then you can add a reset button and a hole for the contrast potentiometer. Hmmm.....

5. Spoon Unit

Yep. I fixed up those parts also. Had the same thought.