I'm Happy

Discussion in 'Show off' started by Julian64, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Julian64

Julian64 Active Member

Well after a week or so calibrating and generally going over all the settings as best I could. I made a venus box with teeth just for fun.

I know you are all going to ask why I don't show it. The reason is that I know/Knew the big box was capable of big. I know/knew the big box was capable of building the parts to build itself.

But the engineer in me wanted more. In my mind the photo below is so much more than I ever though a 3d printer could achieve.

Printed with a .4mm nozzle in PLA. Its a nut and bolt with an 8mm diameter thread and a 0.5mm pitch!!

I made s video showing how the nut could be wound on with one finger but there seems not to be an way of uploading an AVI to here. I can tell you its smooth and positive. God only knows how fine you could go with a smaller nozzle.

For me producing this sort of stuff, that's working, is worth showing off. Requires a bloody accurate printer to print a 0.5 mm working thread!! Well done Big Box

Attached Files:

2. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

love it, I have made M3 too, try it!

3. gonzalo

M3 nuts and bolts!

Attached Files:

Greg Holloway likes this.
  4. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice! You can always upload the vid to YouTube (other providers available) and then link it here :)

5. Julian64

Julian64 Active Member

What size nozzle were you using to produce M3 nuts and bolts??

6. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

Very nice!

What orientation did you use, was the bolt sitting on it's head with the thread upwards?

I've been trying to print some pieces of a clamp but using ABS and have had all kinds of problems with warping. I need a long bolt about 130mm long so I don't really want to print it vertically as it will probably wobble or come off the bed.
    I'm going back to PLA and printing a few bits today, will post a picture if it works!

I'm using a square thread but in future I might go back to triangular shapes.

Good work!

Jason

7. Julian64

Julian64 Active Member

Yep it just printed with the head of the bolt on the table and the thread up. It didn't need any post processing. The nut just went straight on

8. gonzalo

@Julian64 for the M3 nuts and bolts I used the standard 0.4mm nozzle.
    I have used them in a few little projects, to make them silk smooth to operate I run a metal bolt/nut thru the threads to make them true.