COMPLETE Improved Z guide rod and leadscrew brackets

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Ephemeris, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

While getting ready to replace my slightly wobbly leadscrews, I realized that I hated the coin sized brackets that constrain them and the four guide rods. All of them have sharp edges, which I hate, in areas with moving parts and where I sometimes have to make awkward adjustments in cramped spaces. This led me to redesigning all six STL files. Here's what the whole set looks like when printed out

IMG_1758.JPG

(The picture also includes the four small hidden caps that sit on top of the guide rods. These are unchanged)

While I was at, I took the opportunity to make a big functional change to the z_axis_guide_bottom_cap. This is the piece that the smooth Z guide rods rest on. Unfortunately, there are nuts under it which make the one over the power supply basically impossible to replace if they fall off. (Not to mention having nuts fall into the power supply might be a "BAD THING") Likewise replacing that one is impossible without removing the bottom. My solution was to redesign it with recesses for nyloc hex nuts which I recommend you glue into place permanently. Thanks to that change I was able to replace all four of them without disassembling the frame.

All in all it's a minor set of changes, but they are one more small step towards making the BigBox a more professional looking and feeling tool.

Attached Files:

#1 Ephemeris, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

Another great set of changes @Ephemeris. Will get these printed off once I clear the blockage I managed to create last night! At least I can quickly swap it out for the other hotend ;)

3. eca

eca Well-Known Member

By the way, that bed looks great!

4. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I haven't managed to scratch myself on any of those yet, but I love the change. It's an accident waiting to happen. You gonna chuck those up to Thingiverse @Ephemeris? Would be nice to keep everything together.

5. Spoon Unit

6. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

@Spoon Unit is that the Extreme Hold L'Oreal hairspray! I recommended that to people a while back! Does it work well for you?

Loving the rounded edges on the camera mount, is that a focus ring on the front! NEED!

7. Spoon Unit

It is the extreme hold yeh - I think it's strength 4. My bed coverage is UHU (part protection, part stick) and then on top of that hairspray (extra stick). Putting the hairspray on top of the UHU makes it much easier to remove the hairspray too, as that's a bugger to get off otherwise.

The rounded edges definitely feel less dangerous to me, and I'll probably reprint the snap on part of the mount too as I've added some rounding there too. That said, printing a bevelled bottom edge is not without it's challenges, and even putting the part cooling fan to 100% on layer 2 wasn't sufficient to get a perfect print. It's probably good enough to stay though.

Focus ring yes - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:211641

8. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Nice, will try this out as mine needs a redo (the pi camera 2 didn't quite fit right in the original one)

Spoon Unit likes this.
  9. Spoon Unit

This one gives 0.5mm breathing space all the way round. Cheap to print. If it's not quite right, you can always adjust.

10. Henry feldman

Haha. Already started adjusting. Can't print it yet as my current job is a 48hr print... and the taz in the lab also has a 23hr one going.

11. Spoon Unit

Do tell what adjustments you made? :)

12. Henry feldman

Just playing with the fillets. Then the thing I am starting is a lock to prevent it from bumping from the fully out. It's always been a pet peeve.

mike01hu likes this.
  13. Spoon Unit

Ahhh. Yes - good idea. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

14. Henry feldman

I think there is at least another day on my half-ass print (no seriously, well actually an inverse ass since it's a mold). This thing is big!

15. Spoon Unit

A half-big-inverse-ass.

16. Henry feldman

Now waiting for the second half of the mold to finish:

[​IMG]

Miasmictruth, mike01hu and Spoon Unit like this.
  17. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

Any progress on allowing the camera to lock back? I also have this same peeve.

18. Henry feldman

Actually I need to redesign as this is for the V1 camera not the V2, which I was planning on doing today, Then I will put the spring holder hooks (luckily from my colon holder project, I have a crap ton of springs and split rings)