In praise of Ball End Allen Keys (Fitting Hotends)

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Old_Tafr, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I have managed well with a few standard (right angle) Allen Keys and a screwdriver handle type with interchangeable bits (handy and FAST and comfortable compared with right angle type). But some locations need the ball end type, especially the grub screw at the rear of the left and extruder as it is obstructed by the infra-red sensor and a pain to get at.

Fitting the hotends isn't exactly easy without (warned against) using the heater block not gripping on the heatsink. Having fans that clipped on, or which hinged out of the way would be a real benefit here as it would make assembly and removal easier as you could grip the heatsink.

2. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

AND the grub screws on the Y axis GT2 timing pulleys. Total pain with a right angled..

3. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

4. Alex Stevenson

Alex Stevenson Well-Known Member

I really appreciate you mentioned it too, Spoon Unit. Those drivers are well made too (albeit not cheap).

5. Spoon Unit

@Alex Stevenson I figured vs the cost of the printer it was small price to pay. I can also confirm that you'll be using them for the lifetime of the printer and possibly future printers. The BB is hackable by design, so all those different screw sizes are going to be screwed in and unscrewed many times. The base itself is about 25 or so unscrews. Putting it on and taking it off about 4 times so far is about 200 uses of just one of those drivers. The tiny ones help with all the grub screws. The 4mm you won't use at all, but everything else will be getting oodles of use. I had bought an alan key and I was all set, not knowing the effort involved, but I was watching some of Greg's commissioning videos just days before I picked mine up and it was a no brainer that these would save time and lower blood pressure.

6. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

E3D sell a set just enough for the printer at a very reasonable price... beware of Sealey though, I bought some and they are "polished" but it looks more like plating, which makes the larger sizes too big so don't fit in the head of small screws. Just sent them back.

7. Spoon Unit

e3d didn't sell the driver version when I looked to purchase. They sell the right angles short keys. I think they're still worth having a set like that for at least one of the grub screws (backside of the extruder for locking in place). I think that's the 2mm one.

8. Sgllama

Sgllama Active Member

That ball head set from Amazon is definitely worth getting, for all the reasons Spoon Unit gives.