Increased nozzle pressure with E3D Titan.

Discussion in 'Titan' started by GeckoBox3D, Aug 9, 2016.

1. GeckoBox3D

GeckoBox3D Well-Known Member

So yah, as the title says really!

I switched from a printed direct drive extruder (non geared) using a mk8 drive gear, to the E3D titan and for some reason I'm seeing much larger blobs at the end of lines. I have watched the printer, and I can confirm that the blobs will appear as the extruder is raising to the next layer. The issue only started when I switched to the titan. I can only assume that switching to a geared extruder has increased the pressure in the nozzle somehow. I'm using the out-of-the-box steps per mm recommend (although flow rate is set to 0.9 for abs / 0.88 for pla)

I use S3D for slicing, and messing around with coast / wipe etc solves the issue to an extent, but what is weird is that the issue is only there at 300 micron resolution, and more so with PLA than ABS. This makes setting up pre-configured settings for material and quality a pain.

Any ideas on what the issue could be, I'd be grateful for advice.

2. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

Did you do the step calibration for the new extruder? Best to do it again as the stock values seem to be slightly different for each machine

3. GeckoBox3D

I did yes, I also calibrate every material to dial it in further so there is no over extrusion.

4. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

Do you use S3D? If so you could try to activate the coasting function. This releases some of the pressure which was build up during extrusion ;)

5. GeckoBox3D

I have tried this, but I don't think it's a solution to be honest, and is only a work around. If I didn't have this on the direct extruder, why does it exist on a geared extruder? Since this only appears at 300 microns, and at a different rate for PLA than on ABS, it makes using pre configured settings annoying and impractical. I'm half tempted now to make a different profile for each material and resolution combination to achieve the best prints. This is even more impractical but at least I'd be closer to having true auto configurable slicer.

There must be a mechanical solution, or at least something else I have not explored.