SOLVED Indefinite wait for temperature - print not starting

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by markoaurelije, Nov 23, 2016.

1. markoaurelije

markoaurelije Active Member

Hi,
    So, using octoprint and BigBox Hybrid (Marlin RC6 MBL)... sometimes (more often recently) I have a problem starting the print. The bed heats up, and the extruder heats too, but the head never moves to start printing?! It's like it is waiting for temperature to reach the setpoint, but even when the temp setpoint is reached the print is not starting. I redid the PID Autotune but it didn't help. The temperature is "dancing" +/-4°C around the setpoint, could this be the issue?
    Anyone has any advice?

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I think so...

How did you do that? Just sending the command does the tuning but does not set the values (depending on the firmware you have, newer releases of Marlin have an option to set the values also after tuning).
    But nonetheless you have to set them after tuning or that was done automatically you have to store them in EEPROM or edit "config.h" and recompile and reflash your firmware to make them persistent.

3. markoaurelije

I used M303 for the AutoTune and after the process has finished the terminal printed all EEPROM content (MBL and so) so I assumed it automatically saved EE. I will check later. And do you know where in the Marlin source code to find the acceptable levels for this temperature "dancing".
    BTW: I am using FW from your repository (RC Hybrid Titan MBL)

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

In RC7 it is in Configuation.h line 191ff:
    Code:
    // This makes temp sensor 1 a redundant sensor for sensor 0. If the temperatures difference between these sensors is to high the print will be aborted.
    //#define TEMP_SENSOR_1_AS_REDUNDANT
    #define MAX_REDUNDANT_TEMP_SENSOR_DIFF 10

// Extruder temperature must be close to target for this long before M109 returns success
    #define TEMP_RESIDENCY_TIME 10  // (seconds)
    #define TEMP_HYSTERESIS 3       // (degC) range of +/- temperatures considered "close" to the target one
    #define TEMP_WINDOW     1       // (degC) Window around target to start the residency timer x degC early.

// Bed temperature must be close to target for this long before M190 returns success
    #define TEMP_BED_RESIDENCY_TIME 10  // (seconds)
    #define TEMP_BED_HYSTERESIS 3       // (degC) range of +/- temperatures considered "close" to the target one
    #define TEMP_BED_WINDOW     1       // (degC) Window around target to start the residency timer x degC early.

5. markoaurelije

Oh, actually, the cause of this problem seems to be connected to octoprint. I keep my rPI powered on all the time and shutdown only my BigBox. If I reboot rPI after I turn on the BigBox it solves this issue. And, when I think a bit more, I had no this problem when I used to have BB connected directly to a Desktop computer. So, closing this thread as solved ;)