installing the provided thermistor

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by echostar, Jun 14, 2014.

1. echostar

echostar Member

Hey guys,this thermistor installation is causing me a headache. the parts included in the video documentation do not represent what I received in my kit. I received the 150mm braided high temperature thermistor wire in my kit. I tried as the video guide suggested to make a hook on the thermistor leads and the wire leads (from the braided cable) then place the ferrules over the leads and crimp. However, I could barely separate the wires on this braided insulation and so the crimping did not work and I have a bad connection now. in the video guide that braided wire is not even what was used! Also the clear heatshrink tubing provided (in the video black heat shrink is used) does not shrink even with a soldering iron, what is this crap? Is there going to be proper documentation posted for this hotend at some point E3D????

2. Josh

Josh Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Echostar - sorry about any confusion, I will make sure that I clear up any questions that you have!

You have received high temperature thermocouple wire and PTFE heat shrink - this has since been replaced with standard thermistor wiring and standard heat shrink.

PTFE heat shrink has a very high shrink temperature (320+°C) is what is causing it to need a lot of heat - this is normal.

If you are having trouble with the fibreglass thermocouple wire then you can just omit it and go straight to your thermistor wiring provided that it is away from the heat of the HotEnd - if you do this though, I would recommend using normal heat shrink because if you use PTFE in this case, the high shrink temperature will cause normal cabling to melt.

I hope this helps - if you need anything else, please just ask! :)

3. echostar

echostar Member

thanks for the info, do you know if the pictures for the e3d v6 build will be added? the pictures are broken for me.

4. smogit

smogit Member

Also remember to fit the washer on the retaining screw, I did not and took the leg of the thermistor off, oops!