Insulating for e3d v6

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Riccardo, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Riccardo

Riccardo Member

Hi, I want an information about a possibility to insulate the part of heaterblock with thermistor and heatercartridge. I see that some model of hotend have a insulating this part for maintaining the temperature in the best way.
    Now is this insulation important or superfluous??
    Thanks a lot

2. GeckoBox3D

GeckoBox3D Well-Known Member

In my own experience, I like to insulate the hotend. It allows me to run my fans at a higher rate and cool prints better. If not using a fan though, I prefer to have no insulation. Lowering the temperature of the hot end takes longer with insulation, and having insulation on the hotend is generally a big faff as you have less clearance around the nozzle and its harder to swap to other nozzles.

If you never change the nozzle though (or at least, not very often) and you like to print in PLA (or material that likes active cooling) than insulation is the way to go.

3. Paul Gibson

Paul Gibson Member

I put a small piece of "Soldering Flame Protector" mat between the block and the heat sink on my clone to make the thermal transition sharper - fixed my jamming issues. It also helps keep the breeze from the fan at bay. I just cut a piece and peeled it in half (it is too thick to begin with, but separates into layers pretty easily). Then I cut a little hole in it and slid it over the neck of the heat break before screwing things together.