interesting cause of fail - cooling fan

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Henry feldman, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

So last night had a big Edge job going, and watching TV in another room, and heard the dreaded carriage-slamming-into-case sound, and went running in, and saw, similar to the famous "nylon incident" that my part had curled up and the part was off the bed; now this intrigued me since I had NEVER had an edge adhesion failure (well in the negative direction, I've certainly had it tear the glass apart due to over-adhesion prior to glue stick). I also noted that in the running into the part, it tore the sock, so replaced that.

So I shrugged, assumed it was a weird thing, and this morning sent the same job again, and noted that this time even basic outline on the first layers were peeling up.

Couldn't figure it out, and so I guessed that the bed alignment has off from slamming into the side repeatedly last night. So went to repeat a MBL, and was having trouble getting the paper to loosen up (always seemed like the nozzle was down on the bed, even though I could see a gap of light under the nozzle). It wasn't on every point (2nd 3rd and 4th point particularly). When I got to the 6th point (middle left side) I got right down even with the bed and took a close look. The cooling fan duct had loosened on the back and slid down just on the left side (and my paper was left side or right side depending on which point it was from where I was sitting). So I moved the duct back up into place, tightened the screw, and releveled and voila, back to perfect Edge printing...

2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Screws coming loose is a common problem for me but I am reluctant to use Loctite in case of maintenance needs. My bugbear is the rod clamps and frame screws that seem to work loose too often, which may be due to my frequent use of honeycomb infill that really vibrates the machine. Being aware of the issue has made regular checks a part of normal maintenance.

3. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

I've used nail varnish (not from my own collection mind) on critical screws I have seen others report as working loose (such as the rod clamps) I find on stuff like this it has a nice balance between stopping vibrations sill be able to undo things over any grade of threadlock I've tried.

If you want to reuse the screw a quick bath in acetone has it clean again. Not had a problem with the frame screws though and I didn't lock those.

mike01hu likes this.
  4. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

oh and I did the fan screws on the electronics cover as I was paranoid the nuts would end up falling into the rumba and kill something :)

5. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

This is the first like this I've had (and @mike01hu I only use honeycomb) and these are one of the very few screws I don't have temporary thread lock on...

6. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Before I put 1 screw in the bigbox I cleaned the oil off the whole lot of them. Took a while, but no oil seeped from the screws and into the acrylic, also as the benefit that I haven't anything come loose. So I agree cleaning them seems to be a big help.