Interesting Filaments - Community feedback wanted!

Discussion in 'General' started by Sanjay, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

Looking for some community feedback on what "interesting" filaments we should sell:
    http://e3d-online.com/Filament/Interesting-Filament
    We already have a bit of a range, and have more coming from Taulman and NinjaFlex, and some Polycarbonate. The whole reason I made my first all metal hotend is because I wanted to be able to print anything and everything, with all the cool filaments coming out now it only makes sense for us to be stocking them so people can get them with their hotends. If there's anything else you'd like to see from us please let me know below so I can look into getting it in! Even if it's something that doesn't exist yet let me know - it's not out of our reach to get something made up.

We're also trying to get stock of FEP and Ultem, but that's obviously a bit more challenging than other filaments! There's also the possibility of POM/Delrin, but I've no idea how that will print.

2. RichRap

RichRap Member

Hi Sanjay

I have always wanted to test some autochromic 3D print material, not yet found anyone to make me some, and I have tried a few times now!

For anyone wondering what it is, basically it has a sort of rainbow shimmer that changes colour depending on the direction you look at it, often found on custom car paint jobs etc.

Chromatic pigment - [​IMG]

I'm sure you can find some PLA compatible pigment, no idea how well it would work as 3D printing filament, but wouldn't it be cool to find out :)

3. RichRap

RichRap Member

4. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

Ahh I follow now!

I had some of these films and example materials when I taught kids about smart materials at school.
    My understanding of them was that they relied on a particular surface-structure due to the fact that it's not so much a "colour" as it is a mechanical surface structure that induces diffraction, which as such means that it needs to be applied as a coating/treatment.

The closest thing using similar tech in moulded polymers are the pearlescent plastics that are used for beads and the like, which faberdashery already sell.

I might be wrong on the whole "only possible as a surface finish" thing though!

Sanjay

5. twicx

twicx Well-Known Member

Sanjay I'm guessing you have a PLA extruder? I've a tonne of ideas, and I've looked at investing in one, but I'd imagine that if you make one, and it doesn't work, you can really damage either your filament maker or your hot end.

Graphite powder mixed in with PLA? Could be interesting.