IR Sensor and Volcano on Hybrid

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Syko_Symatic, May 4, 2016.

1. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

I have just installed one of my volcano hot ends for the first time. The IR sensor at its lowest setting is still a long way off where it needs to be. Has anyone else come across this? I have pushed he head in as far as possible.

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Yep. I had the same. If you look at the new Hybrid design, the part which holds the IR sensor is actually two parts; one for standard and one for volcano. I did manage to get it working by moving it the lowest possible point. Initially this didn't work. I then figured out that my hotend assembly was not pushed up far enough into the x-carriage, so you may find you have some room for movement there. I hadn't initially sanded mine, but the photos I took were followed by photos from others that confirmed you can push mine in further. I didn't want to force it or disassemble it though. In the end, I placed a small piece of tape on the glass right below were the sensor would be at 0,0, and this seemed to allow the sensor to trigger. I've left it there ever since.

Fortunately, I also have the hole in the LCD mount at the front in order to access the kill switch. I reached quite quickly for a thin alan key when the head and bed connected.

3. Syko_Symatic

@Spoon Unit you don't have the link or a pic of how far the head is into the carriage do you?

I don't believe I missed that! Found the additional files in the 1.1 zip. If only I could get it printing then I could get them printed and on the machine. It seems, after sticking a 20mm calibration block under the sensor, that I am looking for around 10mm of extra length in order for the head to be around 0.

#3 Syko_Symatic, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  4. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Following thread. I have barely started on Vulcanised hot end assy.

5. Spoon Unit

6. Syko_Symatic

I searched for ages and could not find it! Mine is flush so I should print the new part. Just spotted the G92 in that thread. I should in theory be able to reset the Z. Something like G28 X Y should set X and Y home. Set Z height by moving to position and G92 Z0. Does that seem right? Does G28 occur anywhere else other than in my Ocotprint/S3D startup code?

7. Spoon Unit

That sounds like what Greg was suggesting yeh. I just figured out how to short circuit it. G28 is the homing command, so that should only appear once in the startup.

If you're completely flush with your extruders, the IR carriage should be able to be lowered far enough.