IR Sensor Being Weird

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Josh C., Apr 7, 2018.

1. Josh C.

Josh C. Member

Hey guys, so I have had my BigBox v1.1 for around a year, and I am having weird problems with auto homing. I will auto home and get a great z offset, but i will auto home it again without changing settings and it will be 2mm away from the print bed at .0mm. I thought that it could be a problem with the glass bed, so I applied painters tape, but i am still having the problem. Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Josh

2. Paul Seccombe

Paul Seccombe Well-Known Member

What firmware version are you using? I found a similar issue in the past and it appeared to be linked to the offset being "forgotten" or not stored properly. Try running M500 manually after setting the offset and check it has taken with M503.

3. Josh C.

Josh C. Member

I tried what you said, but it still has the problem, how do you check the firmware?

4. Paul Seccombe

It should be on the LCD startup image. I'm guessing by the fact that you are asking means you haven't modified the firmware since getting the printer?

5. Josh C.

Josh C. Member

i just checked and we are on the most recent firmware

6. Paul Seccombe

1.1.8?
    If so, make sure Z_MIN_PROBE_REPEATABILITY_TEST is enabled and run a M48 to see how repeatable your probe is. I ran this on my Bigbox recently with the stock IR sensor and got good repeatability results.