Is 1600 step/mm correct for Z?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Stefan, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Hi,
    When I move my Z axis for 10 mm it only goes 5 mm.... so what is wrong? current 1600 steps/mm or micro stepping (need to check)? What should I adjust?

bye

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

1600 is correct for TR8*2 lead screws. Microstepping wouldn't make sense as you'd go higher (8x microstepping would move twice as far as 16x)

Did you get that value from a print?

3. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'm going slowly :)
    I simply put a ruler to the bed, like when you install the lead screws, and moved the bed to the 30 cm indicator with the LCD 1 mm and 0.1 mm.
    Then I moved the bed +10 mm in the LCD panel and checked the indicator... 29,5 cm
    send the bed back top 30 cm and did +10 with Printrun/Pronterface result the same 29,5 cm.

From my understanding this is not correct.
    So since you said 1600 steps/mm are correct my microstepping is wrong, I have to check this evening.
    Thx so far.

4. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Do you have the correct motors on the axis? There are different sets, 0.9 degree and 1.8 degree. I can't remember which go on the extruders and which are the z-axis.

5. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Ahahah..... I hope not I need to check it. Tried X and Y and they are ok.... But I could have swapped Z and E ....
    ... All that screws

But since I wanted to install additionally parts like front power button, pas pi USB out, USB switch I have to do it anyway... Thx bye

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

1.8 on Z, 0.9 on E.

I'll figure out this whole motor thing eventually I swear.

7. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Thx all for the help.
    Yes E and Z motors where exchanged..... now 1.8 (shorter) on Z and 0.9 (longer) on E.
    But my evil disassemble skills have come into play... I count 30 screws, 30 tap nut thingys and only 29 square nuts....
    I have to search, which is Ok I have to wait any way for some upgrade parts