Is it worth upgrading to RC8 (from BB Dual with RC6)

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Bluemalu, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Bluemalu

Bluemalu Well-Known Member

Title says it all, I'm happy with @Alex9779 last build before he upgraded, are there any major improvements I'm missing out on or should I just enjoy making?

2. markoaurelije

markoaurelije Active Member

If you have no issues with RC6 stick to it ;)
    My bed leveling compensation stopped working on AlexRC6 for some reson so I needed to reflesh so I went up to RC8. Didnt try any new features like LIN_ADVANCE or AutoMBL because I'm pretty happy with the things as they are.

3. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless you want to ...

I also had problems with RC6 forgetting my mesh when I powered off/on. RC7 fixed that for me. I recently had other issues with Z movement and as part of changing everything, I went up to RC8 and enabled LIN_ADVANCE.

What I will say is that, whenever you do decide to change, make sure you do it with tohara's BigBox firmware plugin. In this way, you can remove all fear of changing firmware, because you'll always be able to move back back to previous firmware with no hassle, making testing out firmware changes a completely unscary concept. Right now, the only thing stopping you from trying something new is that fact that you'll have to re-locate the original firmware and flash that. The plugin means that all firmware changes are just a button press (and a two minute wait) away. I love this as it means I can also tweak many other firmware constants to fit my desires.

#3 Spoon Unit, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  4. Bluemalu

Many thanks for the feedback, I'd always compiled on the PC and uploaded but @tohara plugin is the way to go.

5. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

And where would Tohara's build be located?

6. Bluemalu