SOLVED Is there a second 12v on the rumba?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by fpex, May 15, 2016.

1. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

I am not Rumba expert and I have not been able to find the info online.

We have a 12v output for the base fan, is there a second one and can it provide decent Amps? I would like to attach my LED lighting to it.

Thanks

2. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in that as well. I was thinking on wiring two identical 12V led strips in serial to 24V but it would be simpler to just use 12V. Then there is the question about how many amps we can draw. I realised I bought some hellish strips drawing 1,32A per meter :eek: And I had plans to use a meter in total in the Bigbox.

3. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

albert stouder likes this.
  4. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

I was wondering if I can use the pins for the raspberry pi, since I power the pi from outside and those are not used. But I am unsure if they are 24v or 12v

5. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

I think Rpi voltage outputs are either 3v or 5v.

The total current/power you can draw from a Rpi generally depends very much on the power supply (external) that you chose for it (and any other power requirement it may have).

6. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

That regulator can handle 3A max, and according to the specs I have, it would be 90% efficient at 24v in and 12V out so it'd add about 1.65A of load to the Rumba's total consumption when you pull 3A from it.

Personally I am all for decoupling systems and I'd install a dedicated 24v-12V step down DC-DC Converter to run those lights.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-5V-...wn-Converter-Module-Car-Voltage-/252350334948

would do it, though you don't need a variable one like that.

7. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

I would love to take the 12v form the supply, I just hate dismounting the base again. But it looks like I have no choice.

8. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

You could wait until you have additional reasons to dismantle the base. For example:

Did you breakout wiring from the Exhaust fan so later you can run it slower (quieter)?

Did you printout @Alex9779 's parts for the spool holder so that it will work better with large production spools?

9. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

I will replace the exhaust with a quieter one ... when it arrives and I use my own spool design since I am on titan hybrid, so i needed to change anyhow :)

#9 fpex, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
  10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I know this is old and answered else where...
    But to complete this question: there are unused 12V right of the EXP3 hub on the RUMBA also HE2, FAN0 and FAN1 can be switched to 12V...

fpex likes this.
  11. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

That's why I bought the Pi UPS HV3.0.
    3 external outputs of 5/15/30V & 3 relays and Max 26V input (so no need for DC-DC convertors), and ... a nice shutdown system for your OctoPi.
    Hoping to have some good news early next week (Pre-order remember :D )