It works ! Lots to learn :-) Noisy extruders ?

Discussion in 'Motion System' started by Yakeru, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Had forgotten all about this thread until someone pointed it out to me. My extruders have been further quietened by switching on microstepping.

Current settings for the titan extruders (with Hemera as Tool 4)

Code:
    M350 E16:16:16:32 I1

2. Krayn

Krayn Well-Known Member

Is there a reason the hemera runs at 32 vs 16 for the titans? I run all of mine at 16 and it seems like the loudest part of the entire hemera tool are the two fans on it. Is there a quality difference?

3. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Hemera extruder motor is 1.8 degree per step vs the Titan's 0.9 degree, so I'm just upping them to be equivalent in total number of microsteps. At least I think that's what I'm doing, but I could easily be bumbling.

The noise I had before microstepping was more a vibration from the rear of the machine acting like the skin of a drum. The fan noise is not easily negotiable and, at least for me, is no bother as the machine is in a separate room. Mounting a bigger quieter fan would make the tool even more unwieldy, so I'll stick with it for now as designed.

4. Krayn

Krayn Well-Known Member

I'll give it a shot later today and see if I notice anything. I had been dealing with some surface artifacting a few months ago that i was able to eventually resolve. I didn't realize the hemera stepper had a larger step size, maybe I'll play around with it and see what I get.