It's Alive I say! Alive!

Discussion in 'Show off' started by Archania, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Archania

Archania Well-Known Member

Finally after a week of building then a couple of days trying to get it right. I was able to flash the firmware over the USB using a firmware upgrade program from prusa. I need a new network cable and try the octoprint/raspberry pi again. Just couldn't get the router to see it.
    But anyway, got the bed leveled using the manual leveling. Think i can tweak it a little more but it works.
    So I printed a circle!
    Now after playing with the Simplify3D settings, trying out a batman symbol.

20160628_203340.jpg

Attached Files:

JohnEsc, mike01hu, PsyVision and 2 others like this.
  2. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Nice, congratulation. Now whats next Upgrade? :D

Archania likes this.
  3. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Well done!

Archania likes this.
  4. Archania

Just need to dial it in a little more then get some larger job prints done.
    Thinking of doing the redesign of the carriage that @Chase.Wichert did.
    And need to get the raspberry and octoprint up and running.

5. GrodanB

GrodanB Well-Known Member

Great... I am now behind you... but I guess I need to calibrate my PID regulator... have not printed anything yet...

I have the same problem with the raspberry Pi.

So if you find the answer please post what you did...

And how you have solved the SD card in the Pi... seems like a piece of tape is so far the best solution to be able to take it out again...

Also if you succeed to add the flash update plugin to the Pi...

6. Archania

The SD card for the screen is a piece of tape. The raspberry pi micro card was a pita! Ended up pushing it in/out and digging it out with tweezers lot. I need to get a longer network cable though first.
    And decipher the instructions on how to do it lol

7. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Also depends on whether it is a Pi 2 or 3. The 2, doesn't need the tape as much while the 3 absolutely does; what will get you is the moment you need to open the bottom and you forget and tear the card reader off the board (or just kill the card if you are lucky). I got so frustrated with the whole thing, that I ultimately moved it externally since otherwise when you shut off your printer due to an OMG moment, you hammer your Pi (yes there are UPSs for the Pi but if you are doing that make it external anyway). I also had way more problems on the internal DCDC power supply than external off my basic Adafruit USB 5V supply. This also allowed a keyboard, mouse and mini HD monitor (so cute) so I can actually work on the Pi when I need to. Printed a nice little case from Thingverse. Got a 1m camera cable, ordered the $5 USB panel mount cable and voila.

One other hint, is the time lapses rapidly fill up the "drive" of the pi since at most you have 2gb free. This means you get a few really long prints and then the pi crashes due to a full disk (and you have to manually hammer the files). So I strongly recommend getting an inexpensive USB thumb drive (I got a 64gb one) and mount it (easy I can explain how to set this up) and set octoprint (very easy) to use that as both the scratch drive and render drive, so you won't run out of space (and if you do, time lapses will fail, but the machine works fine)

Colin and Archania like this.
  8. Archania

Good advice henry! Thanks

9. GrodanB

Yes good advice thanks... But I definitely wish I had it before I closed the bottom...

10. Henry feldman

The good news :rolleyes: is that undoubtably you will be reopening it...

11. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

I stuck a great big black on yellow warning label on the bottom saying "DON'T FORGET TO TAKE THE PI CARD OUT!". It's right next to the bottom strut screws so impossible to miss :)

The advice about timelapses is spot on. I have mine written to a share on my NAS which is mounted to the Pi but a thumbdrive is an even simpler setup. I also have the OctoPrint uploads folder shared on my PC, so when I want to print I just do save toolpaths from Simplify3D and it defaults to the watched folder so it gets delivered straight to OctoPrint.

12. GrodanB

Yes most likely... my camera does not seem to work... I guess the cable is not connected...

13. Henry feldman

Make sure it's in the right connector. Stupidly there are 2 that it fits in, one is the camera one! (ugh) and make sure the cable is facing the leads inside...

14. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I am considering DOWNgrading to a Pi 2 the next time I open the printer base, the spring eject feature of the pi2 for the micro sd makes getting the card out a lot easier. I initially installed a 2 since I got my printer before the 3 was announced but swapped it out once there was a stable nightly build for the 3.

15. GrodanB

Bench printed.... so IT'S ALIVE!...

Did not get good adhesiven to the bed so the stern lifted a little...

Octopi also working... just did not push the SD card in deep enough.

Only thing left is the camera... guess I need to open the bottom and check the cable.. and add a flash drive.