Jam on retraction (pictures)

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Enlightx, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Enlightx

Enlightx Member

Iv been having jamming issues with my V6 1.75mm and PLA (Colorfabb, Reprapper, faberdashery) also t-glase (i have not tried with ABS .

been trying to find the issues and i belive its down to retraction.

to test i tried pushing filament by hand down ptfe tubing untill i had a good flow. then retracted around 5 - 6mm

when retracting i would get a jam and not be able to retract anymore. pushing filament quite hard would get flowing again.

but any prints with lots of retraction are an issue with this.

so i did test again and decided to remove PTFE tubing and this happens http://pic.twitter.com/Qamr5CGHWy

every single time i do the test this happens.

if you imagine a print that retracting a lot when retraction you would strip filament causing even more issues when trying to print.

any ideas on a solution?

2. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey,

Sorry to hear about your hotend woes. Just having a glance at that image shows that either there is too much heat on the side of the heatbreak, or there is an excessive amount of retraction going on.

Cooling:
    Too much heat on the side of the heatbreak that needs to remain cool, which is causing filament to become soft on the cool side, thus causing a jam. This would be caused by the cooling applied to the heatsink being inadequate and is covered in the troubleshooting guide at the top:
    http://e3d-online.com/E3D-Troubleshooting

Excessive Retraction:
    If retraction is so long in length that it is pulling the hot melt all the way out of the heatbreak 2mm bore and up to the point where the tube meets the break the softened filament can expand in that area. This is again covered in troubleshooting info Normally this would take around 10mm of retraction to happen, but if cooling as above is also somewhat compromised then the length of retraction needed to pull soft filament might become shorter so there is a possibility of the issue being a compound one, and not exclusive retraction or cooling.

If the above doesn't resolve your issues then please do fill in the troubleshooting questionnaire:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1VN8SXa ... =send_form

Which will give us a comprehensive overview of your setup and possible issues that might be present, we should then be able to offer you properly targeted troubleshooting advice.

Sanjay

3. Enlightx

Enlightx Member

i did give up on the e3d as i needed to get some prints sorted so moved back to j-head.

BUT now iv started using colorfab XT so need the e3d to get to 250C. Have no trouble printing with the XT but again when i move back to PLA im having the same issues again.

I get james even when removing filament by hand. i heat up the hot end pull on the filament and get a jam. only way i can get past this is the push filament into extruder so its melted and very very quickly pull back so it gets into the bowden tube. otherwise i get the same as my orignaly posts a plug that stops the pull on the tubing. could of days ago it even jammed inthe heatbreak so i can to once again take apart the hotend the melt the plastic out of there.

really need help on this. im more then happy to send the hot end into you guys to look at as im in the UK.

any ideas or advise would be really helpfull as i now need to use this hot and im not gonnabe happy if i need to keep changing back to the j-head to use PLA

4. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Enlightx,

That you're having issues with PLA and not XT would be quite consistent with a cooling issue, PLA softens much more readily at lower temperatures than other plastics.

An easy way to check that your hotend is being properly cooled is to simply feel the heatsink with a finger after a print has been running for some time. (Be careful not to touch the heater-block, it will burn you instantly) The entirety of the heatsink should be cool to the touch, including the bottom fins closest to the hot parts.

I'm more than happy to take back the parts, investigate them, and send you a brand new set right away. If you post the parts back to our address as in the contact-us page: http://e3d-online.com/ContactUs and include a note with your order number or similar identifying info then we'll get a replacement sorted for you.