Jam (or something) on quick retractions

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Akegata, Dec 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Akegata

Akegata Member

My E3Dv6 has started having issues on retracts lately, after working flawlessly for months, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why.
    Whenever there are lots of retracts, the filament simply stops coming out of the nozzle. When I heat up the hot end after this has happened, the filament pushes through without any issues, so I guess it's not technically a jam, but it has the same effect.

I've tried the following things:
    Retraction length 1, 2, 3 and 4mm (bowden setup, I usually have 4mm retraction length.
    Lowering both print speed and retraction speed to very low settings.
    Changing the whole hot end to another v6.
    Changing the extruder twice (I used this as an excuse to buy a Titan which I have mounted now, same problem).
    Tested several different rolls of PLA and one roll of ABS.
    Tried different temperatures for PLA (190 and 210, I usually print at 210).
    I also changed the hot end mount since I normally use toolsons mount (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:953811) that doesn't use the stock fan shroud, so I switched to one that does.

I might have tried more things that I can't think of right now, but nothing seems to have any real effect.

2. Akegata

Akegata Member

Oh yeah, I also changed the extra retract distance in Simplify3d from 0 to 1 to see if it was retracting too much and just not pushing it down through the nozzle again, but that changed nothing (except making the first layers before this starts happening look even worse).

3. Akegata

Akegata Member

I changed back to my old extruder last night, for some reason retraction works fine now.
    I still have no idea what caused it to fail, or why it works again now (if anything I'd assume it should work better with the Titan than a home made extruder..), but that's 3D printing for you I guess..