Jams, causes and fixes.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by tailgunner30uk, Jul 9, 2014.

1. tailgunner30uk

A lot of people seem to be having similar problems with jams. It might be worth compiling a guide to the most common types of jams, the most likely causes and their fixes, as a reference. Also, it may be worth adding a section on tips to improve print quality.

Just a thought.

2. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

Yup, nearly done on this one in fact! Will be up soon, and hopefully quite exhaustive.

3. tailgunner30uk

Sounds great, I look forward to spending time pouring over it.

Thanks

4. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

5. tailgunner30uk

This is a good starting point, but it lacks a little depth. While it covers the basic setup fro the E3D hot ends, some more detail covering recommended settings for printing in different plastics at different layer heights. Common pitfalls and how to improve print quality would be helpful.

The E3D V6 that I purchased is working well So as a gesture of good will, I relate some settings that seem to work for my printer.

A job that is currently being printed is a fluted vase...

CURA settings
    Spiralise is on.

Inner and outer layers are printed at 15mm/s
    Temp is 190 degrees for the hot end. with general and localised cooling fans.
    Feed is set at 1.75mm *90* for the filament diameter.
    Layer height is 0.04mm. with a 0.3 mm nozzle..

The print is good, not yet perfect, but getting closer to the desired result.

Thanks.

6. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

15mm/s and 40 micron layers would not be typical, anything but. At those setting a baseball sized print would take upwards of a day.

7. tailgunner30uk

"15mm/s and 40 micron layers would not be typical, anything but"

I know, however part of the challenge is to push the printer to it's limits and see what happens. In the end it is all data that builds the curve of understanding. I will push it until it breaks, then find out what fixes it, and push some more. At present, limiting factors are the rigidity of the printer, and the resolution of the stepper motors. So the next plan is to swap out the 1.8 degree steppers for some 0.9 degree steppers and see what happens. Other plans include swapping the belt drive for ball screws, stiffening the frame, finer hot end nozzles and improving the extruder performance.

Thank you for your comment.

8. bryanandaimee

bryanandaimee Member

The troubleshooting page needs a section on clearing clogged nozzles. I think that's a big cause of issues that are being incorrectly reported as jamming.

9. Lcltech

Lcltech Member

I also had some problems with E3D-V6 3mm direct with ABS. It seemed to be clogged. Only very little came out.

I follow the atomic method described here:
    https://www.ultimaker.com/spree/uploads/113/original/Ultimaker_2_Atomic_Method.pdf

Did it 4-5 times. I had to remove the filament using a pair of pliers but it became much easier after the first couple of times.
    It seemed to help. Maybe this could be added to your troubleshooting.

10. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

Added blockages to the troubleshooting guide, actually seems to be quite a prevalent cause of problems.