Kraken Cooling

Discussion in 'Multi-Extrusion' started by ppsieradzki, Jun 25, 2014.

1. ppsieradzki

ppsieradzki Member

Hey All,

I've been busy building my custom machine. I made custom all-aluminum Bowden extruders and am now looking at The Kraken. Small quesion: because the water channel runs down the middle of the block, isn't it worrisome that essentially one half of the heat breaks (the side facing the water channel) will be cooler than the others?

Has anyone run into such issues?

2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

The conductivity of aluminum is very high relative to the heat flux involved here. Thus, the temperature difference you describe is very small, probably less than a degree. Not very much heat is conducted up into the block, as the stainless heat break does not conduct well.

3. ppsieradzki

ppsieradzki Member

Thanks! I have a follow-up question: My carriage is made of ABS plastic, and this water cooling block will have to mount directly onto it (I don't have access to a metal machine shop, sadly).. with a pump that will provide a good flow, and a radiator and fan in the loop (in addition to the water reservoir), will this be possible? Or will the water cooling block heat up past, say 70C where ABS starts to get soft?

Paul

4. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

Most Kraken users on SeeMeCNC.com forum are using an ABS mount and have no problems with the plastic getting to hot.

5. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

You will not need a radiator or fan, and the included pump is plenty.

Very little heat is transferred to the water block. You won't see it get more than 10C above ambient or so.