IN DEVELOPMENT Kraken mount for the BigBox

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Tom De Bie, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to mount a Chimera of Kraken on the BigBox, but neither mounts existed... So I already made a (basic) version for the Chimera and now I present you a mount for the Kraken...
    Kraken.jpg

Let me know what you guys/gals think because it isn't finished yet ;)

2. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

I like the artistic additions :)

3. Tom De Bie

Thx. :)
    The top part is only there for the endstop and was quite blank. Thought it would be fun to have a Kraken attacking the Benchy in stead of a pirateship ;)

4. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

But how are you going to add the fourth extruder ???

5. Tom De Bie

At first I'm not planning to. With the RUMBA three is the max.
    At the moment I have a dual (Chimera) setup. Tripple is just the next step. If I need more I can always buy a Xteeg or Duet.
    Another option is to install different nozzlesizes and switch by means of a connector.

fpex likes this.
  6. lokthelok

lokthelok New Member

Hi Tom,
    Did you make much progress with the Kraken mount for the BigBox? I am looking to do the same thing and would love to get my hands on your design as a start for my system.

7. Tom De Bie

I have made a mount for the kraken, but as I still haven't began building my BB's I can't tell if it will fit... you'll just have to be patient ;)

8. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Bear in mind that with a Kraken, you need to make very sure that all 4 nozzles are at exactly the same height. Even then, you will find that the non-printing nozzles interfere with the print when they pass over filament that has very recently been extruded by the printing nozzle. Good print cooling may reduce this effect.

Have you considered building a 4-nozzle setup using two X axes moving together, with two carriages IDEX-style on each? That way you always have the 3 non-printing nozzles parked out of the way. Or you could even mount 4 carriages on one X-axis if you can work out how to route the 4 belts, although that will of course limit the X axis travel somewhat.