Large Spools of everyday PLA/ABS/Edge etc

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by alexmordue, Dec 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. alexmordue

alexmordue Member

With the bigbox almost ready, do you have any plans to make very large reels of your rather nice everyday filaments available? (e.g. >2kg)

With the huge build volume of the BB, it's quite easy to create models or plates of models which will use more than a single 750g-2kg reel. Having to swap in a new reel mid print can be a bit stressful (especially if you're in the middle of a 24 hour + print).

Thanks

Alex

2. UlrichKliegis

UlrichKliegis Well-Known Member

Alex,
    good point - but did you consider that such big reels need probably an active unroller-transport? I would not load the extruder with the load of moving a >2.5kg spool without a secondary assistance. Sure, the pulling force will be strong enough, but the strain on the whole construction might reach undesirable magnitudes.

Fusing the next spool's filament would be an alternative. I'll open an extra thread with a product proposal.

Cheers,
    U.

Skinny Kid likes this.
  3. alexmordue

alexmordue Member

Hi Ultich,

I hadn't thought about that. I seem to remember seeing a picture of the bigbox filament holder using bearings to support the reel, so hopefully it should be able to support relatively large reels e.g Colorfabb 2.2kgs

I've fused pla filaments before, using a piece of ptfe tube and a lighter it then you are left with a trapped piece of ptfe til the reel runs out :) hopefully someone has a better idea

Thanks

4. UlrichKliegis

UlrichKliegis Well-Known Member

That's right, they provide a carrier on the BBB - BigBoxBack. But you stll have the mass of the material and the friction - it will move somehow, but not to the benefit of the print quality. That would be my guess.

An active despooler, leaving just a loop of filament as a buffer for the running process. The loop could be fed in increments, like in the old computer tape drives...

Us the trapped ptfe tube as a pattern to fuse the next roll then. :)

Cheers,
    U.

Liam266 likes this.
  5. Liam266

Liam266 Member

Hi lads, I'm fairly new here.
    I think this would be relatively easy to do. all you need is a couple of paddle micro switches, a few diodes, a suitably geared motor and some kind of drive mechanism with a bit of a frame to tie the whole thing together.
    there are two ways you could drive the despooler:
    1. drive the reel itself and allow the slack to fall underneath
    2. use a drive unit similar to a bowden setup but with a wide track instead of a tube and use a soft rubber drive wheel instead of a hobbed shaft. (it doesn't matter if the drive slips a little bit on the filament as long as it doesn't cause damage)
    I think the second option would give more control and less chance of the reel trying to unspool every bit of filament on it into a big pile of misery.

It would be an interesting add-on to any printer.... you could even put an alarm or something to warn you when the reel is finished.