Laser Cutting Frame using 6mm Baltic Birch

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Mabila, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Mabila

Mabila Member

Anyone Use 6mm Baltic Birch for your frame material?

I have a few pieces of high quality birch plywood left over from another project, access to a Lasersaur laser cutter (48"x 24") for a few weeks, and want to try building an E3D Bigbox. I am learning inkscape and have downloaded the SVG files from here:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1844896

Many thanks to Alex9779 for the SVG files! I have been unable to open the DXF files in inkscape and when I convert them, the scaling is way off.

It looks like the BigBoxXL:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1753550

Uses 6mm material. However, I can't open the files in inkscape to edit, and I think the increased Z height would require a larger laser cutter than I have access to (& more plywood).

I've been attempting to edit Alex9779's svg files for the increased 1mm thickness. And getting pretty frustrated.

If anyone has already altered the BigBox frame to use 6mm thick material, and has SVG files completed, I would greatly appreciate a link; or any help you could give me.

Thanks!

2. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

re. scaling

try to understand what the factor is and then rescale it yourself

as well as 10, an odd multiple to look out for is 2.54 which has something to do with inches / metres

3. Mabila

Mabila Member

Thanks for the advice R Design! I attempted to convert the BigBoxXL DXF files and then import them into inkscape using manual scaling at 25.4 (mm in an inch); thinking I could then just chop off the extra X height (really hate to do that - would love the extra build volume - just not enough plywood) and have svg files ready to cut. Didn't really work out.

I'm probably overthinking this. 1mm is not much at all when cutting wood. And, I would prefer a tight fit anyway. Regardless, I am slowly getting better at inkscape (object to path, select nodes, pull selected nodes) and have created a file that contains two versions of the Bigbox LCD control panel. One is from the original bigbox panel, the other I have pulled the tabs out 1mm and pulled the bolt holes out 0.5mm. I will cut both next week on the laser cutter and see which goes together better.

4. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

If you are going to use 6mm plywood, then you also have to adjust the connecting tabs and holes where the sides meet. If you don't do that it won't fit... trust me ;)
    If you have access to such a big cutter I'd just go out and buy myself 4 extra plywood plates. ;)

5. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

Oh and the nuttraps (plastic molded pieces) also have to be adjusted and printed because the ones you can buy from E3D don't fit. You could try to file the slots where the nuttraps fit so you can use the molded ones, but since I've still haven't come around to building mine I can't say if this will work.

6. Mabila

Mabila Member

Thanks for the advice! I spent lots of time expanding tabs, adjusting bolt holes, & virtually test fitting stuff in inkscape. I think I have the LCD panel correct. However, I've also been able to convert and scale your files properly and am seriously considering just purchasing some more plywood and using your files unaltered. I have yet to use the Lasersaur on the 1/4" Birch yet and will wait to see how well it cuts before making that decision. I'll make a test cut this week, hopefully.

7. Mabila

Mabila Member

Regarding the nuttraps: Yes, I'm planning this BigBox to be mostly a custom build and a huge learning experience. I have a Prusa i3 clone that I will be printing most of my parts on and, as with inkscape, I hope to improve my 123D skills as well.

Thanks for posting your files! After working with just one panel, I can see how much work was involved.

8. Mabila

Mabila Member

Almost forgot to thank the real creators of the Bigbox in the first place. Thanks E3D for open sourcing such an great machine! You obviously have very talented team.

9. jet

jet Well-Known Member

<-- jet from the lasersaur list

Hi, where is it located?