Layer height and nozzle diameter; filament cleaning

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Alex Stevenson, May 23, 2016.

1. Alex Stevenson

Alex Stevenson Well-Known Member

I've been using the printer with the default 0.4mm nozzle, and a layer height of 0.25mm and getting good, consitent results. I do have a smaller nozzle which I'll try at some point, but I'd like to start playing with the settings slightly to see how the prints differ.

So, firstly I've been looking at adjusting the layer height. Is this something that I can safely adjust? I read somewhere that says that it's okay to have a layer height of 1/2 to 1/4 the size of the nozzle (0.1 to 0.2mm), but I'm also aware that if it's too low, then I could have problems with thermal runaway or other issues with extrusion.

How much is it worth changing this setting?

Another, slightly related thing I wondered was after watching a recent YouTube was on contamination from dust, and filtering the filament as it extrudes (
    ) - how sensible is doing something like this?

OctopusAndPiZero.jpg

2. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

From my little xp I can say with a 0.4 nozzle it is possible to print up the 0.32 ( I read somewhere it's save to ~80% nozzle diameter)

Note that the smaller the layer height the better must be the bed leveling.

Like 0.1 layer and the bed has 0.1 dents, with 0.3 that 0.1 dent is only 33% not 100%

That filament filert... I think that is a good idea....I will install one soon too, but the oil thing... I'm not so sure... it oil in the hot end is a good or bad or don't care thing... hmmm if one uses used french fries oil the printer could smell tasty :D

Alex Stevenson likes this.
  3. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I've printed at 0.1mm with a 0.5mm nozzle in the past with no problems using PLA. Regarding dust, it is not an issue with the BigBox as the filament is fed through the Bowden tube straight from the reel and if you put your filament away after each session you won't have dust issues due to storage. There can be a problem with filament dust from the hob if you get a jam and the filament is ground by the hob; this can collect down the hotend path but it is rarely an issue as pulling the filament from the hotend while still hot will collect most of it. I never had a problem with my old open feed system and I used that for several years; most of my problems came from cheap filament!

4. Alex Stevenson

Thanks both! I'll try a test print at 0.1 tonight and see how it goes :)

I don't take the spool off each time as I only make sporadic prints, although I do have a cover (cut down IKEA BBQ cover) for the printer which I (very) occasionally have used.

I do need to practice removing the filament...

5. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I think you should try at 0.2 or 0.25 first as getting 0.1 working needs some care and decent calibration; this will help you get used to the kit.

6. Alex Stevenson

I've been using 0.25 for a dozen prints so far with good, consistent results...

7. Alex Stevenson

I've just set it off with a small cherrymx keycap. Watching it carefully!

8. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

The only difficult thing about 0.1 layer height is the First layer.

Get ready to abort the print if it's going down too loose or if it's scratching itself to shreds.

Make the necessary adjustments and start again.

Once the first layer is going down fine the rest will be great!

9. Alex Stevenson

Thanks! So far, so good. It's the same model as I've printed previously, so I'll be able to make direct comparisons. I'll post the results when it's done.

10. R Design

Another thing that's likely to happen: if you've sliced with rectangular infill then, at 0.1mm height the crossing strands likely will snap and the whole thing turns into a bit of a mess.

The thing to do is to go in S3d's Infill tab and set "sparse infill every 3 layers".

You'll get one 0.3mm layer height infill layer printed for every 3 layers of 0.1mm perimeter.

Not only is this very solid but it also speeds up the printing!

11. Alex Stevenson

Done. I haven't got a good camera, so it's hard to see clearly, but it printed well. The difference in resolution is clear, although I seem to have some extrusion issue, if you're able to see, (not sure what might be the cause) on the layer the skull is sitting on. I'm really happy with the result overall though!

Attached Files:

mike01hu likes this.
  12. Alex Stevenson

I'll try that next time, thanks. Hmm... checked my settings, and it was set to triangular fill; sparse infil every 1 layers.

By the way, is there a way to duplicate FFF settings in Simplify3D? I'd like to duplicate a working profile and create different ones for different purposes, but there doesn't seem an easy way to do so.

13. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Not 100% sure, but in the Edit Process Windows there is a button on top right corner "Save as New..."
    and I have no idea what can cause the top layer errors.

14. R Design

One thing you notice from your print: with thinner layers you'll probably need to increase the number of Top (especially) & (less so) bottom layers in order to get coverage.

I've noticed in S3d that when you create a new process it automatically starts off as containing all the settings of the last process that you were editing. A fact that can be used.

mike01hu likes this.
  15. Alex Stevenson

Ah, that sounds reasonable. I'll try it again later with a couple more layers.

That is very useful to know! Not as obvious as 'duplicate' (especially re which profile it's using), but at least I can start building up a list of working processes.

Thanks again

16. Alex Stevenson

Confusingly that is for a new profile (I have a couple of copies of the BigBox profile I made by mistake trying that). As @R Design mentions, creating a new process appears to contain all the setting from the previous(ly edited) profile.

Hopefully an extra few solid top layers will help with the gaps...